Schnellboot S-100

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
wibblywobbly
Major

Schnellboot S-100

Post by wibblywobbly »

1/35 scale Italeri Schnellboot S-100. Fitted with 3 x Speed 400 motors and full channel mixing.

Took a few months to build as the kit has 600 parts, it's a static kit that has been converted to RC.
Attachments
DSCN1118.JPG
DSCN1117.JPG
DSCN1116.JPG
DSCN1115.JPG
DSCN1114.JPG
DSCN1113.JPG
DSCN1112.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Re: Schnellboot S-100

Post by Red Devils »

Excellent build there Wobbly, looks very sea worthy...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's a very fragile model, the biggest 1/35 scale boat that was ever built and I think its out of production now. Some of the parts broke just getting them off the sprues no matter how careful I was, which meant I had to make replacements. I was pulling my hair out some of the time, but I got there in the end.

Once the school holidays are over I will take it to a local lake for sea trials, I would rather not have 50 children watching while it sinks to the bottom never to be seen again. Lol.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

hi wot wot
i have been informed that this kit is available £ 100 + ,george at m.a.d says he may be able to get em ,i fancy one myself ,
he has a nice rc 1/72nd he has done
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Very Nice, was the hull a one piece construction or 2? I built the E-10 in 1/72 with similar problems. The hull being 2 piece and a real problem to assemble straight and solid. adding internal bulkhead and a lower floor for strength.

The deck also was very thin requiring additional supporting. Yet I passed on the RC Conversion,would like a follow up report on the maiden voyage. Best of luck. fine work you have done.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
tankman

Post by tankman »

Looking good Rob
Alan
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

I remember seeing one of these in Military Modeler about 40 years ago...... :(
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

There are two versions of the kit, the standard and the photo-etch version. This one is the PE one.

The hull is in two halves ....lengthways. lol.

To anyone even contemplating one of these, I suggest that you visit a psychiatrist before you do so, it was a real pain in the backside, and the PE is microscopic. An awful lot of people abandoned the builds, and fitting RC gear is a squeeze. This could well take you 6 months to a year to complete.

Additional resin parts on the boat are the rear gun armour and the dinghy mounted on the mine laying rails.

You can still buy the crew sets, and other bits that used to be made include mines, and depth charges.

I also have a 'corrected' resin armoured bridge with the 'correct' rivets (yes, you can count them), but didn't fit it as I didn't want it getting broken.

The model would be fine as a static, but I know that one false move sailing it and bits are going to break, they are 100% brittle. I had to make a couple of bits from brass and styrene.

Video of the real ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CDMyd_JTVY

The documentaries are well worth a watch. These boats had three V20 3000hp Mercedes Diesels, and would go no slower than 6 knots on idle. The Larssen rudder system reduced wake and visibility, the hull design reduced aquaplaning. When they were captured at the end of the war the US & UK were astonished at how advanced they were. The AA gun had a range almost to the moon. lol.

Post war the US and UK used them for quite a while, now there is only one left, and that is being restored at a cost of £3m by Wheatcroft. It was a mess when he got it, but it is being given the full works. I can't wait to see it at sea.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

As you have stated,very brittle kit. My S10 (Static) required a complete lower floor and bulkheads installed just to secure the two halves and ensure a proper main deck fitting.

Perhaps we could post a comparison set of pics to detail the evolution from the early designed boats to the later war,the advancements to the bow and wheel house were substantial yet the hull form and running gear remained basically unchanged.

These were the fastest Military ships of WWII ,sad that none have survived save one.Even our PT Fleet which numbered over 500 at one point now stands at 5. Well done Rob,if you agree to a few comparison photos let me know how to proceed,should not be difficult,maybe an over head and a side view to show the changes?

Here is my post link, http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =84&t=7463
Mine is constructed without P.E.Detail Parts so not as detailed as your example.

Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Anyone interested in these and other TORPEDO/PATROL Boats the achieves and Museum is located in my Home town of Germantown Tn. here is a link,they have 99% of the surviving records,thousands of photos,crew records and many detailed engineering blueprints of the original craft both allied and axis alike,but mainly US PT Boats.

http://www.ptboats.org/

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”