Minimal smoke output from exhausts.

Fixes and mods for the HL Bulldog
centmk4
Recruit

Minimal smoke output from exhausts.

Post by centmk4 »

Well my grandson and I received our first of two model tanks, one of which is a hand painted full metal upgrade Bulldog.

When we first connected the battery, and switched on the transmitter, all functions seemed to work ok apart from no smoke output.

After discarding the silicone gasket,( this was leaking quite badly) followed by flatting the top of the smoke box itself to get it reasonably parallel, clean up with meths, then some silicone sealer applied to the mating surfaces, we thought perhaps we had won.

However in spite of curing the leak from the joint where the gasket would of been seated, it still failed to pump out only a trickle of smoke. :(

So I decided to put a fairly thin flat nylon washer behind the tapered seal that sits at the front of the piston rod. (ok I know it's not a true piston, ) just a cupped tapered washer, but doing this has increased the pumping effect for the time being.

Anyway so far we seem to have reasonable smoke output for the moment, but if it fails shortly, I'll obtain a complete replacement smoke unit from one of the recommended suppliers named on this forum. :thumbup:
Last edited by centmk4 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Minimal smoke output from exhausts.

Post by MichaelC »

The standard HL smoker/juice is not all that powerful. I have purchased some supposedly more powerful smoker "juice" (I think either RC Boat or RC Train use the same thing) but haven't try it yet. You could also try the home brew version (baby oil or something). I have given up on buying replacement HLs as almost half of them show up DOA or just as pitiful.
centmk4
Recruit

ReTips From MichaelC: Minimal smoke output from exhausts.

Post by centmk4 »

Thanks for the suggestions Michael. I'll try alternative smoke juice you mentioned.

I appreciate your reply. :):
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

The problem is the long tubes to the exhausts. The "smoke" condenses partially before reaching the exhausts.

I discovered that when i put in a "better" taigen smoker, that smoked like mad without the tubes, no complaining, but was hardly noticable at the exhausts when completely in the tank.
i then checked the tubes, and saw that it was full of condensed droplets..

I am afraid that -short to buying of one of those Tarr fan-driven smokers, there is no real solution.

( I know, way to revive a zombie-thread, but maybe someon correctly using the 'search' for some smoker-problem, can be helped this way.. :P )
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

All my Taigen and Torro smoke units work well....

(The JT and HL grey smoke unita were off)

https://youtu.be/QW2JlYh4diQ
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
alamein
Recruit

Post by alamein »

Thought that after my three years or so of being dormant, (not quite dead yet from leaning on the rear end of that Conqueror Tank Destroyer? ;) I'd post again.

Lost interest really in improving the Bulldog after my lengthy period of absenteeism, as I'm not that enthused with the lack of space in the Bulldogs hull, amongst other negative factors?

Now concentrating on the Tiger 1 that I have before I purchase a new project to keep my old decaying mind active? ;D

As a by the by, any guys on the forum serve with the RTRegiments post the 2nd world war?

The 'Conk' in the picture was named 'Head Hunter' part of 'H' Sqn of the 5th/8th post amalgamation iirc?

So chaps where do I purchase a quality 'smoker' from for the Tiger?

Thanks for reading, Dave, aka Alamein. :):
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Oh my creaking bones I had almost given up talking to you, Hi, If you go to ----
www.rctankelectronics.com
and click on Store you will see the "TARR" Smoker range, they in combination with a bottle of "Mega-steam" ( also obtainable from this dealer)are really just about the best smoker available, :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ian, (Tankbear) is a very helpful member of this Forum and the main man on this particular dealership.
Please do try not to be a stranger here any more. :clap:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

X2 for the Tarr smokers and the Mega-steam.
Joe
alamein
Recruit

Post by alamein »

For some reason or other I fail when I attempt to get access to RC Tankelectronics website, so do I need to go via Tankbear to achieve this?

The basic/standard smoke unit I have in the Taigen Tiger1 is pretty good in all honesty, but by comparison disappointing in the Bulldog.
However as I may possibly acquire a new model at sometime in the near future I would like this to have a better control and smoker system,( Centurion by Taigen???) :):

Dream on 23489**1 you old left right stick puller, no chance I guess before I depart for the Green Fields, but one never knows does one?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Sir, If you click on the website address that is highlighted in my entry it will take you to
www.rctankelectronics.com
Do it now and when you are there click on STORE. Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “HL Bulldog”