Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im doing the gun blue on my silver tracks also. I have done a lot of 'Bluing' back in my Gun collecting days & this process was a dead cert for treatment on these tracks. In use on firearms, the oil treatment post-bluing was critical to present the right finish, but tracks on a Tiger ...........probably not so crucial !
I found that a vigorous scrub of the subject material for bluing with methylated spirit was the best prep.. never done tracks before, but they should be the same.
I like your method and execution of the gun cleaning rod sections, I will try to imitate & replicate If you dont ming Mr Sov.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Sov how is this build coming along?
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Build was completely derailed with a move. Now I live with my GF, bigger place. Been so busy with lots of projects around her house but finally taking the time to do more of my own.

She had a rusty old steel workbench in her basement that was unused for years, so I claimed it. It was a grey paint and had dirt and rust all over it, so I sanded, painted and made a nice surface for out of oak plywood. It really brightened up the dark dreary basement corner it is in! I designed the plywood surface to be a 3/4 box, so no parts would be lost rolling off the back or sides of the work table.

The chair in the pic used to match the desk. :haha:

With that done I've started unpacking all my tools and parts! It's been three months since I've seen my Tiger, hiding in moving boxes.

Work will resume shortly now that I've got a space to do it again!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sov,
Welcome back for you and your excellent Tiger build!
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Welcome back....................now, Git-er-donnnnne mate !!!!!!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Aha! The beast awakes... Now Sov, are you sure that basement played no part in your decision to move in with your good lady?

Funnily enough I've had a complete revamp of my work space too - courtesy of a man shed (well, three boys really).

I look forward to seeing you get back to work on this great build...
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Welcome back Sov! Will be good to see that poor Tiger finished!

Nice of the GF to not make you refinish the whole basement before you could get back to play'n ! :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

1800's house with a sand and brick foundation. It's dark, it's dirty, the brick is crumbling and it leaks (and floods), and one corner of it is all mine! :crazy:
I also filled her garage with motorcycles, car parts, woodworking projects and more fun. I have a great many hobbies.

This also kept me busy post-move.

I needed to replace my old junky PC desk so I designed and build from scratch a poplar hardwood desk. Staining it was great fun but next time I wouldn't use poplar. New tools acquired, palm sander, biscuit joiner, Kreg jig and router!

Didn't realize my build was so popular, hah, I'll get back to work on the tank for everyone. :thumbup:

As I said, it's dark. The single bulb outlet over my head and a small desk lamp weren't enough light. Went to Home Depot and bought an overhead fluorescent shop light, $25 for fixture and bulbs, good deal. You can see it hanging here. It really made the area bright, I don't even need the little desk lamp anymore!
+ bonus, more unpacking. Got pretty much everything strewn about the desk.

The last thing I left off on. Voyager brass 1/16th Tiger parts. Haven't worked with brass much at all. Got a bending tool from the local hobby shop awhile back and started on what looked like the easiest parts. Some of the pieces of these Tiger side fenders/skirts fell off during a move, not inspiring for a model that's going to be traveling through thickets and muddy river banks. Currently held together with super glue. I wonder, should I solder the brass pieces together? Will be doing some research about that since I haven't really worked with brass yet.

Last edited by SovereignZuul on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

Very nice build thread .......

and you play the drums too ?
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Wow, you could see those from the corner of that pic? Haha. Those were my father's drums but he's a guitarist so he gave them to my GF who loves drums.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”