Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The hatch work is intriguing mate. Am I to understand you drill a starter hole then use cotton to cut like extreme dental floss ?? :O
If so, it works well.
What have you got in mind for hinges ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Button thread cutting is a tip I picked up here, but I can't remember from whom. Button thread is at least 10 times tougher than regular thread and used on buttons, lasting much longer than regular stitching thread. Normal thread tears instantly when trying to use it like a saw, or like extreme dental floss, haha. The button thread isn't invincible. I used about 30 inches worth to cut that hatch out but most of that length is just "handle" material. Scoring repeatedly down the cut line with an exacto to weaken it helped cut through it much easier.

For the hinge I'm just going to cut grooves underneath the actual hinge part of the hatch and put some brass rod in there.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Yep, the button thread method was recommended on this site some time ago - again I can't remember who was behind it. I haven't tried it myself, but with patience (and a steady hand) it seems to do the job where more modern methods create a lot of mess.

I'm also glad to report that my solder paint arrived safe and sound - Sov I hope you don't bring down some major security alert before you see yours!

And I admire your pluck with the metal turret - must have required quite a lot of elbow grease. But it's surely worth it!

As for the turret pistol port, as yours is going to be a mid-production version you have two choices - either get rid of it all together or go for the plug I have used on mine. Having just bought Jean Restayn's 'Tiger 1 on the Eastern Front' it is worth knowing that there was at least one Tiger with Feifel cleaners and the new style cupola. The more photos I see the more I am prepared to accept that there were many more variations than most of us ever felt possible...

Keep up the good work!

Tanks
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The lunacy that is cutting through parts of your Tank was first placed on this Forum by DIETRICH (my hero) a member who has taught me much more useful stuff than that, such as using NEODYMIUN MAGNETS to hold the HULL to the BODY, when it comes to cutting out bits of Tank I prefer a PIN VICE and an EXACTO KEY HOLE SAW. shaun PS if you want to read DIETRICH's piece on cutting out panels go to " TIP's & TRICK's page 3, entry 3.
Last edited by jarndice on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jarndice wrote:The lunacy that is cutting through parts of your Tank was first placed on this Forum by DIETRICH (my hero) a member who has taught me much more useful stuff than that, such as using NEODYMIUN MAGNETS to hold the HULL to the BODY, when it comes to cutting out bits of Tank I prefer a PIN VICE and an EXACTO KEY HOLE SAW. shaun

Need to get me one of those! Usually I end up destroying the bit I'm cutting out, which is usually ok but will be nice to have the option not to sacrifice it.
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

jarndice wrote:EXACTO KEY HOLE SAW
Just ordered some on that advice, thanks!

I've debated throughout this whole build just what "options" to go with. I'm leaning more towards my own custom tank rather than an actual historic Tiger but you never know. For one reason zimmerit intimates me a bit as a newbie at this kind of modeling, and I prefer the clean look like Tiger 131. I agree, the more I see the more variations come along. I swear that I recall even seeing one with late road wheels but feifel air cleaners!

I'm really digging this paint scheme, supposedly from the 510th Panzer. Might be what I settle on in the end.

The joy that is this forum, there are tidbits everywhere! I've picked up on so much in my time here.

Talk about elbow grease..
I had to take the metal on the turret down even further upon seeing photos of the Vimoutiers Tiger's cupola and just how low it sat on the roof. Even more so I had to reduce the actual cupola about 2mm as well. Finally all that metal is gone and it sits at a nice looking height. I also filled in the former vent now future roof pistol port, tomorrow I'll see if dry and sand it flat. Also, not pictured, cut some deeper grooves for the roof weld after I took the picture.

Here's a bunch of other things I was toying with today. Smoke launcher wires, tried two different kinds. I like the one circled in green more so I'll duplicate that. The white wires are from some old ear buds. The copper, from a motorcycle wiring harness that I split into three pieces and twirled. Both are stuck into some hollow plastic tube. Looking at the actual smoke launchers the details on the back are far too small for me to replicate so this works for me.

The voyager set came with the brass 6 spoke piece needed for my roof vent. Not exactly accurate to the real thing but close enough for me.

Finally, cupola work. More weld lines, time consuming but pretty! Also that white piece, I suppose it's some form of armor to protect the arm & rod that holds the hatch?

Picked up another new toy! A surplus French M51, 1954 helmet. Looks great and in nice shape. I suppose I can wear it at the local RC track while I drive my tank...

Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Nice work on the metal turret, looks like it took lots of Drexel work to get it ground down properly?
This is moving along nicely :thumbup:
I have the same turret and honestly was thinking of just selling it and getting a plastic one, that grinding does not look like fun :problem:
Keep up the good work :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

SovereignZuul wrote: The only thing I'm not certain of is the pistol port (or flare launcher port?) on the commander's side rear.

I could post a list of the differences between Early and Late turrets. But I don't think you'll enjoy reading it.

David
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

tanks_for_the_memory wrote:it is worth knowing that there was at least one Tiger with Feifel cleaners and the new style cupola.
There were about one hundred and eighty such Tigers.

David
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Markocaster wrote:looks like it took lots of Drexel work to get it ground down properly?
Last time I was covered in such fine metal particulate was my former factory job grit blasting! Wear some eye protection and junky clothes if you attempt this. I leave a couple of old t shirts near my work area to throw on for jobs like that.
DavidByrden wrote:I could post a list of the differences between Early and Late turrets. But I don't think you'll enjoy reading it.
I wouldn't mind at all David. :)

Best I've seen was a really low res copy of a page from a Tiger modeler's guide that sells for over $100! No way I'm spending that...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”