Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by ALPHA »

If your Iwata is a gravity feed...no real need to run the pressure that high...and by god man! Talk about overkill...that back up compressor is KILLER :haha: :haha:

Never used those cleaner things...any good?

ALPHA
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

OH GOD! I Don't know, I'm a noob, hahaha. I thought high pressure was good for large areas? lol

The cleaner worked GREAT. Filled the bowl about 4 times and spray'd it through to make it squeaky clean super easy.

I like the scale look more than the need for bright night running anyway Painless. But our other tanks sure do light up the night well with those white leds for sure.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SovereignZuul wrote: But our other tanks sure do light up the night well with those white leds for sure.
Sov,
That they certainly do: ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Bow closeup.JPG
Bow closeup.JPG (79.33 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
...Here for the Dawn...
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Very cool build great work on the brass hats off to you sir
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

B12's lights actually look phenomenal. I guess I shouldn't discount white lights so easily!

Sorry, no tank progress. Taking a break to learn and practice some skills and break up time a bit. Got some more hobby supplies too that have been helpful.

I LOVE AIRBRUSHING! Been airbrushing all weekend, a different (new) project though. Also learning some other detailing techniques.

I'm glad for the break as I've already learned a bunch more just by experimenting and by spending a bunch of hours practicing. Boy the airbrush really hates metallic paints!

It's fun doing something less serious to change the pace but I'll be back to Tiger soon enough.

Can anyone guess what I'm building?

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

LOOKS LIKE YOU BE HAVING WAY TOO MUCH FUN THERE ZUUL :haha: :haha: :haha:

Hard to tell what you're working on...but I'll take a stab at it being either a robot..or a motorcycle :haha:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mornin' Sov,
Looks like an engine? Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

ALPHA wrote:a robot..
Close 'nuff that you get credit. There are some pretty cool models coming out of Japan these days... Show more later. 8|

Airbrushing, o'lawdy. Too much fun. Painting has always been my biggest weakness with model making and this solves it! It's a revolution! (or revelation?) TOO EXCITED

You can do so much more work with 1000% better results and faster too! Cheaper on paint too, I can't believe how little I've used for so much surface area painted. I did turn the air pressure way down too btw, thanks for that tip. :haha: Running at 15-20 psi now.

It was really cool to make special effects. I put on a flat black coat, then flat aluminum metallic and then a very light dusting of flat black and I swear it looks like a piece of metal on what I painted. I can't wait to weather too.

Next learning step is trying some shading with the airbrush.

Can you do clear coats with the airbrush or should I stick to rattle cans for that?

tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Sov, welcome to the party!

I started airbrushing with a little Humbrol set up when I was around 10 or 11 in the late 70s - and never looked back.

They can be a pain sometimes - especially to keep clean - but it sounds as if you're well on the way.

Varnish can be sprayed just a easily as paint, but in 1/16 I find a rattle can is fine for the most part. If it's matt varnish then the slightly pebbled texture is just more, well, texture...

Have fun!
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just to say that if you run an airbrush at 30-35 psi most of your paint will get blown around the room, it also runs a higher risk of blowing 'runs' into the paint. In all honesty you only need 15-20 psi max?

When you are doing shadowing and highlights you need paint control, so its low pressure and light trigger pressure to get those lines thin and where you want them. Every time I start doing fine stuff, change paint etc, I do a quick test run on the baseboard beneath the model, just to check the paint flow, it changes even during use due to fractional paint build up in the airbrush.

These guys should know...not that I have ever done any of this. lol.

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Heng Long Builds”