Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
LMN118
Private

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by LMN118 »

I managed to sell a few, some of which I didn't want to really sell like my Revell North Carolina and Revell UK Duke of York but hey maybe someone will get the time to build them. I put up my old Lindberg Ticonderoga but no bites on it.

I keep buying more armour, purchased another two kits, a Vintage Tamiya Matilda Mk II and a Zvesda T34-85. Armour wise I am thinking of using the more detailed 1:35 kits to detail check the 1:16 Heng Longs and perhaps in the future scratch build.

I still have my Tamiya 1:350's and of course the Alabama!

Not the Nichimo model but this is currently listed:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOYUSHA-YAMATO-1- ... 2c5aeb17e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a bad price considering the photo etch as well.
It is never just "one" tank!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

That is a nice kit and unlike the Nichimo guy's they produced all three Yamato's in one scale. And all three are tragic stories of waste.The Alabama is the first battleship I ever saw or went aboard,amazing ship and it should be noted has survived many Hurricanes undamaged although the Submarine docked beside the Alabama was damaged in Katrina I think or the storm before. The Alabama was moved during Hurricane Camille of the late 1960's and the first time I went on board 1968 and I was 5. Since then I have visited the ship many times including taking my wife and children aboard it is a great place,and they have armour,aircraft and the battleship and submarine.

The North Carolina is a Museum ship as well, I guess we have more battleships than any nation on the earth. But they are of a bygone era. The U.S.S.Texas will always be my favourite, by the way what scale is the Ticonderoga?

http://www.ussalabama.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I noticed that LMN118 has done one of my classics. Sell a load and then buy some more. It's great to do that though and good on him. Thanks for the link to the USS Alabama looks like a great site to visit. I am not familiar with the Dumas kit although I have heard of the name, but if helps needed give us a shout.
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

Tragically I did some work in Houston and Lafayette not so long ago and was a day trip away from seeing the Texas but I didn't know about her at the time. Still thinking of the whole honeymoon American Navy tour, probably will be the shortest marriage in history!

I wish the UK had the foresight to copy the Americans and save some of our maritime history. Nearly every state is chocked full of American ships and we have a sprinkling!

The Ticonderoga is around 1:525 scale, being Lindberg it is not amazingly accurate but still a pretty good attempt.
It is never just "one" tank!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I agree about our smattering of ships. I've not been down to Portsmouth recently, but at one time we had Fearless and Intrepid and the Type 82 The Bristol down there. That was a one off and Fearless would have made a superb attraction. Last steam powered vessel in the Royal Navy, landing dock with craft for trips around a bay. Could have been superb. I knoe asbestos is threat but if left alone. Crying shame
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

We have had traggity,and that resulted in some strange situations. Children saving their milk money(pemmies at the time) saved the USS Constitution my favourite. The USS Constellation saved as well.

But their has been tragic actions.the USS Oregon pre-dreadnought saved until WWII and scraped for her steel but before this was completed the bare hull was used to store dynamite at Guam,then during a storm she broke her mooring but was recovered finally scraped in Kawasaki Japan 1947.. The USS Enterprise which earned the most battle ribbons 22 of 24 possible in the pacific war was scraped after Halsey himself tried and was unable to save her,scraped.

Then the only battle cruisers ever built by thr US Navy scrapped when these fine ships would be very useful today similar to the way the Iowa's were rebuilt. But not to be,scraped. When treaty cruisers were reserved even today. But many fine ships have been saved and many US CITIZENS support these ships as all but 6 are not commissioned,the 4 Iowa's and the to square riggers Constitution and Constellation still active commissioned warships.

I do credit the UK for saving Victory a true 1ST RATED SHIP OF THE LINE.and Warrior the only first generation iron hulled warship and a fine ship she is. But to me Dreadnought should of been saved and the last British Battleship Vanguard.As far a a vacation to visit the ships I did this for years before I was married,every year a bike trip.When

I purchased the Kawasaki GPZTURBO the first 500 miles on the bike were from Memphis to Mobile AL.and the USS Alabama battleship. After that a trip every year to different ships,North Carolina,Wasp,Texas,Massachusetts,several confederate ships are still preserved as raised wrecks,the Queen Mary several Times in my life.

Now as the kids are set to graduate we want to travel some,on a limited budget but I want to visit a Iowa class battleship and have two to chose from both on the East coast and about 800miles one way.maybe next year we can make the trip,forgot one sad ship the SS United States,tied to a pear and wasting away,fastest passenger liner ever to sail,she was built for war time service here engines could drive her at 36+knots. Well enough ship talk,cheers Saxondog
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake,

This is the first resin cast of the HMS Invincible and I am quite pleased with it. I have some remedial action to do on the bow and currently casting the two main funnels and the four main guns. It's nice working with resin as it's heavy and adds aweight and presence to the model. On a different and preservation note there would be uproar here if some historic house was knocked down, or if we sold off our forests (quite rightly so) and yet for a nation that has a maritime history we don't give a stuff about some of our more modern marine heritage. Mind you we nearly didn't have a battle of britain memorial flight and owe a lot to the film of that name.

That will be a great road trip and I've not ever been on a "proper" motorbike, but if we ever have enough money to buy a VW camper we have many plans for a coast to coast trip around the UK dropping in on our maritime museums along the way.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Rear of the ship
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Very impressive,you have captured the hull lines and the long rear quarter very well. I am just amazed at how well it looks. As for Naval History it is a disgrace, think of the men,British everyone that died at Jutland due to a mistake in deployment of the battle-cruisers in the battle line. Yet the lose of life being remembered as in the service of the nation is somehow wrong in this age of liberalism and politically correct crap. The men on Hood,Prince of Wales,Repulse,all died in the nations defence. And the men on Merchant cruisers killed far from home yet not remembered.

A nation of the sea as much as anything else is a British quality,and one of achievement and discovery.Hell they filled in the edges of the map, yet I noticed their is a debate on Sheria law courts? Pardon me but Richard fought the Muslims and this is not a reality in the nation that gave the world so many positive things like structure and a functioning civil governments in the colonies?

V-FOR Freedom of Heritage, V-for the right to embrace a History of innovation, and V- for the tars and their stout hearts.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake,

Yes I know it's a bit disgraceful and we would never have a Trafalgar Day in case it annoyed the French. Talking of Jutland I was watching a dvd I have got called the First World War in colour. It's a series of six narrated by Kenneth Branagh and this episode is called "Killers of the Sea" and it's good actually with a great broadside of one of these ships at the spithead review. Unfortunately I can't identify which one.

Thanks Blake i've just cast four guns and two front funnels as I am concentrating on the front superstructure. I think the guns should be in two different pairs, but this size is so small that might re profile and add ribs to one set, but I am not sure. I am amazed when people actually paint etched crew figures in this size. I have got some but even with my magnifier I am struggling. The plan is my 1/200 drawing of the ship, invaluable as you can imagine.

Return to “Warships”