[D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

Post by Tiger6 »

Rolf was the younger brother of the Battalion Commander Heinz von Westernhagen. They both also involved in the Bulge as part of Kampf Gruppe Peiper.

Heinz had suffered a major headwound and by the time of Normandy was unable to ride in a tank due to the loss of brain fluids making the vibrations unbearable - there are pictures of him riding in his Schwimmwagon during the march to the coast. He was in one of his many trips to the hospital with complications when Wittmann (NOT the greatest tank commander to ever live >:< ) did his infamous "charge over open ground with no prior recon, because this is a great idea for a Battalion commander to do!" in von Westernhagen's assigned tank - 007.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Martin, do you know the correct shade of blue for the turret markings?
Thanks in advance
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Good question, I have seen a variety of shades used in illustrations... Best I can suggest is to look at the King Tiger at Fort Moore - obviously it has been repainted several times, but they look to have made an effort to put it back to how it was orignally:
phpBB [video]

I did have a colour picture or 2 of it, taken when it first went on display in the US, but the colour reproduction wasn't the best so it would be of limited value.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Tiger6 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:06 am Rolf was the younger brother of the Battalion Commander Heinz von Westernhagen. They both also involved in the Bulge as part of Kampf Gruppe Peiper.

Heinz had suffered a major headwound and by the time of Normandy was unable to ride in a tank due to the loss of brain fluids making the vibrations unbearable - there are pictures of him riding in his Schwimmwagon during the march to the coast. He was in one of his many trips to the hospital with complications when Wittmann (NOT the greatest tank commander to ever live >:< ) did his infamous "charge over open ground with no prior recon, because this is a great idea for a Battalion commander to do!" in von Westernhagen's assigned tank - 007.
That's really interesting. I searched Rolf but only found info on Heinz, which discussed his head injury.

Good anecdote about Wittmann - you've only got to play a game of War Thunder to know how quickly a blind charge can go badly wrong 🤣
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

One of the 'Duel in the Mist' series has a list of who was assigned to what tank in each of the tank battalions, there might be some more blurb about Rolf in there.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

334 now has the proper colour numbers. Helped a great deal by a new set of paint brushes. Hindered by my over thick zimmerit done 8 years ago :{
Attachments
20240128_184624.jpg
20240128_184624.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 285 times
20240128_184607.jpg
20240128_184607.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 285 times
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

:thumbup:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looks field applied, perfect.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

So, cmryanuk, you hand-painted the yellow over the white and the blue over the red: that's patience and eyesight! And even if I haven't the noggiest fotion of what is the correct blue, I certainly do like the blue you chose.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:59 pm So, cmryanuk, you hand-painted the yellow over the white and the blue over the red: that's patience and eyesight! And even if I haven't the noggiest fotion of what is the correct blue, I certainly do like the blue you chose.
Well Herr Dr it just seemed the easiest option. I used to have a steady hand but after 2 hours of painting my nerves are shot.

I highly recommend the magnifying glasses I bought on Amazon. You look like a total tw@t wearing them but it makes the job so much easier :haha:

Return to “Group Builds”