Herr Doc's Famo

Up to the end of WWII
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Herr Doc's Famo - Speaker Question

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Back on May 22 (of this year :haha: ) jhamm noted that in at least one of his excellent FAMOs he used a Visaton speaker: "The speaker is a FRWS 5 with 8 Ohm and fit perfect behind the radiator grille." I immediatley bought the same speaker (below right), intending to use the same. But I have found that the volume of the Visaton speaker is much too soft and that other speakers, particularly, but not only, the single or dual HengLong speakers (single shown below) produce much more sound. Can anyone explain the cause of the difference? (HengLong does not specify what ohm ratings for the speakers. I am using the SGS #258208 TVC-TRF05 HT8: Famo MFU.)
Visaton vs. HengLong.jpg
Visaton vs. HengLong.jpg (465.11 KiB) Viewed 47510 times
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Herr Doc's Famo

Post by HERMAN BIX »

HL are 3 W 4 ohm I believe
The Visy 8 ohm causes too much resistance.
Ideally a 10 W 4 ohm will get you a good result
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I use the Visy 5 in 5 of. Y tanks and they work well better than the HL ones.
All 4 ohm
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hello,
a 4 Ohm Speaker is louder than the same with 8 Ohm - because the Ohm´s law.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Hello,general rules for loudspeakers
If you connect 8 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amplifier, the audio volume will be about half as loud as when you connect 4 ohm speakers. This makes sense, because under an impedance of 4 ohms, the amp can deliver all its power, and the speakers can then fully utilize this power. Please note that it is important to match the impedance of your amp to that of your speakers.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you all! Your answers confirm exactly what I suspected. I am going to hit eSlay and Amazon to try to find the same sized Visaton speaker in 4 ohm because it would fit perfectly behind the grill of the FAMO. I'm still plugging away at this build. :haha:

Although it's only 5 watt, how about this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GA0LFY/?c ... g_dp_it_im
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Seems to match your wishes? you noticed that there is a plus and a minus on the HP, I don't know if the sound quality changes significantly? Connected correctly, the membrane must move forward :)
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Herr Doc,
the speaker in your link is too much in size... 70mm
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Yes, I saw that problem. Here is the dimensional data of the 4-ohm Visaton speaker I ordered:
s-l1600.gif
s-l1600.gif (17.67 KiB) Viewed 47403 times
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

Great build. After I finish my StuG I want a sdkfz 252 ammo carrier and a sdkfz 253 recon half track so I will be picking this thread apart

Return to “Wheeled and Half-Tracked Vehicles”