Re: HL Panther G customization diary

Post by TankOCD »

Any update on this? :)
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Update 21 March

Sorry guys, not much to update as I cant find a solid block of time to do any major work on the tank as I have been busy on the weekends. I did some minor things which I show below:

I didn't like the look of the weld seams as my initial application looked a bit too much and out of scale. I decided to sand the putty down a bit and found a good use for the masking tape so as not to sand down areas I don't want too.

I also used it in sanding down the putty on the engine hooks.

This way I only expose the putty and don't inadvertently damage the surrounding areas.

Here is the engine deck finished. After I think several weeks getting used to the look of the weld lines on the tank I can finally say I am happy with the way it looks now. Not saying completely satisfied but given I've only done this for the first time, I'm happy with my efforts.

jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Update 21 March (contd.)

I also added the fuel tank overfill hose at the back. Here is the molded piece from the original tank which I carved (a while back) a channel for the wire/tube.

The paper clip. I didnt even remove the rubber/plastic insulation as the naked wire look a bit too thin.

Here I briefly attached the track links to check for clearance issues.

And here it is attached and glued in place. Since I didnt peel off the rubber/plastic insulation I didn't use CA to glue it in place but just used regular plastic cement. However I applied plastic cement on a test piece first just to be sure the glue didnt dissolve the insulation.

jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Update March 25

Decided to detail the gun cleaning tube. After I shaved of the handles I decided the molded on strap looked fake too so I shaved it off as well.

First I marked how much I will shave off using some black marker.

Then I began shaving off the molded on strap using the marked portions as guide

After I finished, here are the results

Before

After

Next, bought some plastic strips.

I found the strips too thick so I again used the black marker to gauge how much to sand down and if it is even

Then I just sanded off the marker. Re-applied the marker and then sand again.

This is what I was aiming for. Thinned, even sections

Then I cut a piece.

I then glued it to the gun cleaner tube as a replacement strap.

I used paper fasteners to hold the plastic in place until the glue dried.

Cut off the excess plastic.

And here it is test fitted into the tank. Its not glued yet as I plan add some detail stuff such as the angle bar I often see in old panther pics.

Image Image
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

looking good bud, and as a newbie(ish) to modelling really good. cant wait to see your first attempt at painting it, if you modeling is anything to go by it will be fantastic. keep it up mate.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I do have a question though. In the course of the build I intend to attach and re-attach the turret a lot of times (to add detail parts and during the painting process). This while playing with the tank during the entire build process.

However these wires are attached to the upper hull. I could just cut them and re-attach using solder. But since I would be doing it a couple of times, it would begin to look messy. I am thinking some electrical connectors would make the job easier. Any ideas? Whats was your solution? Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hello jeff1101

yes, use of electrical connectors is the way to go, so you will be able to separate the turret eveytime you need to.
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Hi, can you recommend a product? These wires are small. Have a hard time finding electrical connections this small.
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hello Jeff

i bougth these:
http://www.shoptronica.com/885-conector ... 254mm.html

you can find them in any shop of electronic components (radioshack i think you call them). They are MOLEX type, male + female 2.54mm in my case. Just fine for the turret wires.

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Dang, it says "cant access this store from your country". Can you send me a screen grab pic? I just want to have a look to get an idea. Thanks.

Return to “Panther”