T90 'Z' TWEETY-BIRD

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: T90 'Z' TWEETY-BIRD

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I’ve seen stairway handrails and farm gates also used as overhead protection on some vehicles!!
A modern take on the bedspring T-34, it'll be right at home in your collection! :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Raminator wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:I’ve seen stairway handrails and farm gates also used as overhead protection on some vehicles!!
A modern take on the bedspring T-34, it'll be right at home in your collection! :haha:

That it shall mate !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Pavel
Lance Corporal

Post by Pavel »

Here's more to get creative...
If I'm obsessive, just tell me....
Attachments
jO3f1bo8Xg0.jpg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That’s exactly the look I am going for!!
Ian looking around for small plastic bags that I can use for the often seen sandbags that seem to be on these things, blue ones are common.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Shotek
Private

Post by Shotek »

Nice metal work, I like it!
And feel your pain with soldering :) ..

just one thought about soldering..
in my experience it's important to have a powerful enough heater to heat up the soldered area quickly enough to achive the goal, but not get too hot around it at the same time...
in other words as big temperature drop as possible, which is not achiveable with weak soldering iron on thick material

nothing more than just another tip in addition to the active cooling and heat dissipation practise...
hope it possibly helps ;)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Shotek wrote:Nice metal work, I like it!
And feel your pain with soldering :) ..

just one thought about soldering..
in my experience it's important to have a powerful enough heater to heat up the soldered area quickly enough to achive the goal, but not get too hot around it at the same time...
in other words as big temperature drop as possible, which is not achiveable with weak soldering iron on thick material

nothing more than just another tip in addition to the active cooling and heat dissipation practise...
hope it possibly helps ;)

I appreciate you looking in Mr Shotek, you do very good work.
I use solder paste, which is so good for most soldering jobs, but I agree a really good old type soldering iron might be better for this job :/
Cheers mate, thanks again ;)
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

(Sorry to butt in Bix) Shotek: I know I am a long way away, but who knows? Can you recommend a soldering pencil that heats adequately just as you say? Thank you!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Agree, any guidance would be helpful
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Shotek
Private

Post by Shotek »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:(Sorry to butt in Bix) Shotek: I know I am a long way away, but who knows? Can you recommend a soldering pencil that heats adequately just as you say? Thank you!
HERMAN BIX wrote:Agree, any guidance would be helpful
Hi guys.
Hard for me to advice specific model, since I use some old soldering gun produced by local factory many years ago which doesn't exist any more and for bigger pieces even propan torch. :D
But in general it depends on a volume of material you need to solder - the bigger material volume, the more heat / power needed.
For this specific job I 'd try to look for soldering gun at about 150-200W or even more.
Not sure what you use now, but I thing soldering pens usually aren' t much powerful.
The second point would be to consider usage of ceramic soldering plate
something like this...
which prevents heat dissipation from the material. As an alternative approach I would try fixing all the pieces of the part to this plate using the right holes and then using paste to gradually work through the tin.

Hope this helps a bit...
:wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Do a Google search for, Ceramic Honeycomb Soldering Board/Block/Plate/Jewellers Heat Proof Board.
You are sure to find something with those search options within any country.
I have one for soldering slot car chassis. You should be able to find them in varying sizes.
Yes, it looks a little different to the one shown above, but the holes are very useful for inserting little wire pins (piano wire) to hold things in place.

For added interest, always check out jewellers tools for small metal working jobs, you're more likely to find the type of tools you need, or at least get ideas for alternative cheaper options.

For soldering chassis, I use a 60 watt Ungar soldering station, plus higher wattage single irons. I do have an old soldering pen somewhere, but can't remember where it is or who's make it is, sorry. I have also used a normal blow torch with a lowish flame to heat as one when all held together.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “T-90”