My Panther G Build

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: My Panther G Build

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I hasten to point out the the travel lock was NOT the one from the Aber set. There is a limit to my patience and just looking at the assembly of the chain from a huge number of individual links was enough.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I think you'd need a high-powered magnifying glass to pick the difference, it looks fantastic. A testament to your dexterity and patience!

So what's next on the agenda?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Amazingly well detailed, S.S.! This Panther can stand by any of them anywhere. I completely get you about the ABER detail at times. I feel like I would need to be 1/16 scale myself to work with some of it ( the hair thin exhaust flap chains and 3 piece bolts on the Tiger come readily to mind ;o)
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thank you for the kind comments. This is only my second tank build and is my first attempt at a camouflage pattern AND using an airbrush. I still have a few Aber bits to fit, the major ones being the Schurzen plates. However, first I have to get the fenders to stay stuck to the body. I have tried various plastic weld cement. Hopefully the latest one will do the trick.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've fitted a couple more detail - C hooks on either side, and a proper wooden jack block with Aber straps.
20161206_144624.jpg
20161206_144624.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
Richard
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really impressed with the build. Your hard work pays off in the details. The wooden jack is excellent. Keep up the great work I will be following the build!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Had a go at fitting the Schurzen plates. Very frustrating. The brackets were, so far as I was concerned, bent in exactly the right places. The plates are a very tight fit and trying to fit them caused the fenders to come off. This is not the first time they have come off. I have found it very difficult to get them to fix. I have tried two different plastic cements and superglue, but nothing seems to give a permanent bond. consequently, I fitted the plates to the fenders then fitted the fenders to the tank. The net result is the centre plate is missing. It should go behind the plate in front and on top of the plate behind. I fear that if I have to remove the front plate and fiddle around too much, the fenders will come off again.
20161207_211553.jpg
20161207_211553.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
The Aber kit includes some small retaining brackets that are supposed to fit over the plates to lock them in place. I do not have enough clearance, so they are staying off.

It now remains to try and get a coat of paint on them, without spraying everything else.
Richard
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SS1947,
Try this: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/19/43/ ... o2-Gel.htm
It's what I use for metal to plastic or vice versa. Be patient and let it cure for 24 hours. It expands slightly as it cures so be careful of the amount used.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It would seem that go2 gel is not sold in the UK. I had a look on Amazon and nearly fell off my chair. The price quoted was the equivalent of $40 plus postage. 8O . UK eBay only has sources in the US, but at least the price comes down a bit $5.70 plus $4.83 postage.
Richard
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Richard, Hi
Like you, I've been disappointed sometimes by the inability of glues to glue things. Even more so with the sometimes wild claims made by manufacturers. Thus, I think we need a definitive reference section on bonding agents, and proven products; but there are several useful threads on the topic.
Try these: viewtopic.php?f=195&t=18746&p=166941&hi ... es#p166941
and one I started an alternative means (plastic welding for instance) on bonding bits together...especially disparate bits. Ausf had some useful suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=20870&p=188896&hi ... es#p188896
If you hit upon the ideal medium for bonding metal to ABS (I've used so-called 'industrial strength' superglue. But that industry must have collapsed :lolno: )..do let us know. I have 'Plastic Weld' too for ABS to ABS, and that's what Alwyn uses, I think. Be sure to let us know it it works for you. Be careful not to inhale it though... :crazy: :shifty:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Panther”