Super P

palepainter
Sergeant

Re: Super P

Post by palepainter »

]Oh, and while I was doing more research, I found pics of my next build. One prototype only from what I have read. Never went into production. But since I have figured out this Pershing conversion to IR, I think I will have a go at it with the HL Sherman hull and HL m26 turret.

From Wikipedia
"The single prototype tank built by Chrysler in the summer of 1944 that had a 90mm gun T26 turret mounted on an M4A3 chassis. The T26 and M4 tanks had the same turret ring. The project was canceled by the Ordnance Dept. after it became apparent that this tank still needed to be tested, would not likely arrive in the combat theater any sooner than the T26 tank, and would most likely interfere with the T26 production effort.

jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

I have to admit that as you progress, I am liking the Super P more and more. I also did some reading on it as it piqued my interest. Your tank has a nice, rather sinister look to it. Especially with that add-on armor. Sort of like a tank version of Darth Vader. :thumbup:
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

coming along great guns old chap keep at it wot wot .......
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Pale,
Very, very nice! In the middle and coming along to a grand finale. ;o) Let me know if you need a two piece .50 cal that doesn't have the ammo can super glued in the wrong place. Thanks to Alpha, I could almost build a tank out of machine guns. *chuckles*
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:]Oh, and while I was doing more research, I found pics of my next build. One prototype only from what I have read. Never went into production. But since I have figured out this Pershing conversion to IR, I think I will have a go at it with the HL Sherman hull and HL m26 turret.

From Wikipedia
"The single prototype tank built by Chrysler in the summer of 1944 that had a 90mm gun T26 turret mounted on an M4A3 chassis. The T26 and M4 tanks had the same turret ring. The project was canceled by the Ordnance Dept. after it became apparent that this tank still needed to be tested, would not likely arrive in the combat theater any sooner than the T26 tank, and would most likely interfere with the T26 production effort.

Dragon 245 built one of those... showed it to me on fynsdad's EASY 8 build

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... 9&start=20

It's a nice tank ... good project build :thumbup:

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I Googled M26 Super and a nice piece on the events in combat that ended in the finish of the King Tiger are recounted along with crew names and photographs, all adds to the history. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Painless,
Thank you for the offer and I will take you up on it. I can PM you my address to drop it in an envelope if that is most convenient for you. I appreciate the offer.

Pale
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Pale,
I will do so today. I have been looking for an excuse to get out of the house. ;o) I'm looking at your Pershing and all the images on Google and the tank does have that straight pole as an MG mount like HL put on it originally. The sprue I am sending has the Sherman type mount ( elevated base ) included as well as the cradle for the .50 cal. The cradle for the gun has the regular type post to drop into a hole in the mounting post so you should be able to have it fit with minimal fidgeting. Send me the PM and I'll mail it today.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

I was able to remove the MG stand from the HL 50. Thanks again Painless!
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Tonight, I set up the rail around the newly installed hatch. Then I used the good ole Green stuff to smooth it out. I am just about ready to do the casting effect on the turret.

I also had enough time to fit up the front armor and glue it into place. I am pretty happy with how secure it is hanging off the front of upper hull. I will add a magnet to the lower just to strengthen it a bit for battle time.

I ordered new steel gear set for the Super P. I should have them in about a week. I have to decide on how I am going to approach the handles on the boxes. I want to add a level to the detail, but do not want to turn it into something too fragile to enjoy outside.

Pale

Return to “Pershing”