My Tiger Tank Project

Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

Ha! That was a bit self induced for medicinal purposes only ;) But it did lead to some amusing modeling ideas :thumbup: Thanks for the well wishes my friend.
I’m afraid I’ve just about modeled this poor old Tiger to death but the more I read and the more WW2 photos I see reveals a detail or two that I need to correct, add or remove. My next quandary is should the muzzle brake be weathered sooty black or left clean and gray? I would also like ideas on making easy to remove canvas covers for the main gun and bow mg.
Way too much time on my hands now and this forum may have suffer through my ramblings and many photos. Blame the Plague!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

“Lang may yer Lum Reek” ......Okay, 43rdRecceReg. Thank you very much and same to you. I had to look that one up. Smoking chimney and all.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Man I've learned so much on here. Now I'm even learning old Scottish sayings! That is one funny sounding sentence but is true to heart in meaning. Hope I didn't offend anyone from that beautiful part of the world. Like Ewan McGregor has said, anything useful or convenient was invented in Scotland first! Since I'm a fan of BMW's I'm also a fan of his.

At any rate, Jim if you're taking votes chalk me up to a sooty, dirty, well used look for your muzzle brake. I also like the idea of muzzle covers. So I came to the cabin to mow, how did I get talked into painting?! I've barely had time to chase the lizards around with 308!
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

EAO, you might want to take a look at this thread, it's pretty informative and very funny at times. For some reason I think you'll get a kick out of it. I know I did. 8)

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=29930

I should be getting a couple of the new muzzle covers from Imex soon, I'll have to get some video so you guys can check them out.

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

These threads can definitely take odd turns and little nuggets of knowledge are found all over this forum for sure.
Eric, I’m sure those lizards are Bolsheviks so don’t let them get too comfortable. 308 will have absolutely no trouble neutralizing the threats.
As for the muzzle brake, I think I may dry brush a bit of blackish brown on it. What the hell. Ol’ Ugly doesn’t get much of a chance to get washed as long as Ivan is about causing mischief (you can tell I’ve just read Otto Carius’ book).
Max, as usual, you’re the man! I look forward to seeing what you get from Imex. I absolutely love those folks in Florida!
Tonight I added headsets to most of the crew along with the appropriate wiring. Boje wouldn’t sit still long enough. I used photos for references in case anybody thinks they look funny. The commander’s throat microphone was pretty tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The barrels were kept clean to maintain accuracy and combat life. The propellant was by those days, clean, so did not leave black residue. Heat from the unburnt gas may have discoloured the paint on the brake, but from all accounts, the muzzle looked normal.
I assume any paint was scratched from branches etc, and the bags would have. Even used during long route marches or entrainment, or extended periods out of the front line.

Your Tiger is an outstanding example of research, innovation, skills and entertainment & deserves every bit of credit .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Mr. Bix, thank you for your input and as usual you are the voice of reason. I’ve just googled many Tiger photos and I see no discoloration of the muzzle brakes. I will leave it as is. It’s getting to the point where I need to leave it alone. Almost.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Just for shits and giggles I found the image that made me enamored with the Initial Production Tiger 1 and it served as the basis for my model. Funny thing is it’s not a real model but a computer rendering for a video game.
Anyhoos, this is the image that started it all for me. Everything has to have a beginning and an inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Weathering anything can be tricky, and I think the most common mistake guys make is to go too far. As stated, these machines were highly maintained and kept in very good condition. I always have to shake my head when I see a well built tank that's been weathered to the point it looks like it's been sitting in a field for 50 years. Yours is very nicely done, Jimster.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you, Max! I see the same thing in model railroading. Some folks weather their trains to look like ancient relics or the Titanic sitting on the ocean floor. I know some model subjects require that level of decay but it can, as you pointed out, be overdone easily. A Tiger will have no more than about 2 1/2 years of weathering and combat scarring at most.
It would be kind of fun to model “the last Tiger” as found in Berlin April ‘45 but I really hate to see them so torn apart. The next tank I may build a Panzer III of the 502nd with some very serious combat damage and have some fun with it. Torn up looking on the outside with the finest electronics on the inside. Hmmmm.

Return to “Tiger I”