Tamiya 1/35 M4A Sherman 2.4G beginnings

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
puramo
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4A Sherman 2.4G beginnings

Post by puramo »

Disaster :O
the other day was really cold, I left the kit too near the heater :| and melted the suspension units, well 3 of them anyway. Fortunately Tamiya after sales sent me a new sprue, it only took 2 days. That's one of the advantages of buying a Tamiya kit :D :D :D

Some more coats. I haven't done small details yet like the lights, decals and figures but it will come sooner or later.
Attachments
DSCF0026.JPG
DSCF0026.JPG (29.13 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
DSCF0025.JPG
DSCF0025.JPG (32.7 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
DSCF0024.JPG
DSCF0024.JPG (28.18 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
doh melted the suspension unit, after all that work
doh melted the suspension unit, after all that work
DSCF0020.JPG (35.22 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
BC: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

And finally >> here is the 'main' coat or final top coat before I finish any streaking, mudding up and whatever.
Attachments
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
BC: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Puramo,
Serious ACK! on the assemblies melting but a nice recovery on the parts sprue. Paint looks good and weathered already! Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Accidents will happen,
the cats just ate my aerial - boo hoo,
working on the tank commander and all those little tools,
thanks for folowing

Dunno if I'm allowed to link this 'ere but if you scroll down to RCTanks then 1/35 U.S. M4A3 you can download the Sherman manual and peruse it at your leisure
http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
Last edited by puramo on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

:thumbup: Looking good sir
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Cheers Ed,
not too bad, camera user isn't the best :D but we're making some progress. Really really enjoy building this RC Tank B| . It isn't fast but the control is super smooth and a lot of fun :D :D :D . My cats keep eating the antenna :/ I guess Panther and Tiger beats Sherman eh

Dirty decals done dirt cheap (thanks to decal medium and decal fix)
Too many tiny tools to touch up
Ghost driver
and Brad takes a fag break
Attachments
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG (28.9 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG (34.58 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG (23.28 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG (23.8 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG (23.15 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG (35.13 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Fantastic build, there is no way I could work on something so small with my clumsy fingers and eyesight. Brilliant work!
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Alwyn thanks alot :D
I'm just putting some 'Fury' style bits and pieces on, then will be painting the driver and finally
will get round to Brad himself. Figures tend to take me ages as i can never make up my mind how I want to do them, and the cats bit the drivers hatch off, so more repairs ahead :/

Sherman goes on a picnic trip while Brad puts on his makeup ;)
Attachments
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG (28.94 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG (25.67 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG (31.41 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Wow
I have posted a lot of posts and a few pix too. 8O Anyhoo, before I pop up a finl pic with Brad and all his makeup done, just my personal feelings about this kit.

Would I recommend it, well yes :thumbup: but with caution. So yes and no. I would not recommend this for a first RC tank kit and at MSRP it seems to me not competitive :problem: .

It does come with the full Tamiya IR battle system and this is very complete and has depth to it. :angel: Maybe they could have sold that as an option and kept the initial kit price much lower. The battle system in itself, I feel, is definitely worth it. :thumbup: If you can do Tank Battles in 1/35 with friends this adds a huge dimension to this kit, nevertheless 1/16 is so so so much more popular. Good luck finding battle mates.

It does come with a full guarantee 8) and Tamiya's amazing aftersales parts backup service 8) that personally I used after having damaged some parts - excellent and needs to be factured into the overall kit price.

The kit is pretty good for 1/35 military model enthusiasts. Having a living, breathing kit is pretty amazing :crazy: . The kit is excellently made and the instrucions are very good, if a little unclear at times. There is no information about how to assemble or paint the machine gun or either of the 2 figures which is unacceptable.

Some scale aspects are sacrificed for RC, it's a trade off. I think the speaker metal plate is OTT and goes against the scale realism, I don't get that choice at all to be frank. The 2.4Ghz Tx unit is a peach. Small, very easy to use, has trim dial, super responsive, takes one battery (allbeit not the most popular size).

A little rant - what took Tamiya so long to get to 2.4Ghz. Tamiya makes superb quality MM and AFV kits, but their RC stuff is imo behind in cutting edge technology and imagination (look what people like Hong Nor, Thunder Tiger, Traxxas, Axial, HPI do)

The turret on the Sherman is so full of stuff that it really is limit to get it functional and keep it fully functional. The gearboxes are partially inaccessible and small debris is easily ingested. Maintainance of the boxes is fiddly and could even require serious dissassembly if something was really stuck. (On the other hand getting to the turret rotation unit and the 4Motor Control Unit just involves removing one screw and popping off the upper hull, again a little fiddly but nothing major.)

Given that I would think the gearboxes would fair better if dry mounted and grease not used (my opinon). The grease, although lubricating, also sticks to dirt and debris and holds it there.

Mouvement is excellent but a higher speed would be a 'fun' (if not realistic) factor. Sounds are good and fun, canon mouvement too. It seems from looking through the manuals that the Panther G would technically be the best of the bunch - because of space and layout.

The Sherman tracks are nice and thick and work pretty well, steel or linked tracks would be fun, realistic but the motors would probably be on overload. Batteries last a good while, at least an hour of continuous driving I'd say.

For the enthusiast yes, for you, well you really want to check out your other options before making an investment. Overall very high quality, never regret investing in Tamiya. Would avoid if unsure but if you are good with this kind of thing of course you'd enjoy it. If friends have allready got them all the more reason to join them, or do builds together.
Hope that is of interest to some B|

Thanks to the forum for giving me this opportunity to share and to all your amazing RC tanks, info and for helping out with questions :clap:
Attachments
sherman_cartoon.jpg
sherman_cartoon.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
riggy15
Private

Post by riggy15 »

Puramo,
Spot on fella, superb build and excellent write up. :clap:

Martyn

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”