Bedford MWD 1/16 RC Scratch build

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Bedford MWD 1/16 RC Scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Rob, those tips are priceless thank you. I took a long hard look when I got the pics on the pc, and decided I was trying too hard, so went back and repainted the doors and bonnet with just a flat coat of paint but kind of leaving the edges, and found it looks much better. I think in this case the saying 'less is more' is appropriate as the effect is now more subtle and more like the effect I am trying to achieve. What suggestions does anyone have when I have applied the star transfers to bonnet and doors for blunting the stark white look? Should I try a very dilute wash of matt black over them? Thanks Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I always airbrush my stars on. I just cut out a printed star, or cut the decal from an old Heng Long decal sheet. Cut a hole in a sheet of A4 paper, and tape the template over it. Low pressure, and I never use pure white, just diluted Off White.
DSCN0236.JPG
If you are hand painting, I would suggest a very thick brush, a dab of paint on the ends of the bristles, wipe off the excess on paper, and then stipple it on rather than brush strokes. That way you will get a sprayed on effect, and the paint won't go under the template.

Just do light coats and build it up to the desired effect. In the real world the stars always look grubby, and the edges look better if they are a bit uneven.

To weather the whole truck, you can try diluting acrylic greys and browns with about 70% water. Use a thick brush and simply wash over the whole truck, or sections of it. the wash will run into the nooks and crannies, and dull down everything else. Leave it a few days to dry between colours as there will be a lot of water to evaporate off.

To make windows look more realistic, get hold of a compass and make two circles with the same centre on a small piece of masking tape. Cut out two arcs, and put them where the wiper blades would travel. Then lightly weather the rest of the glass, peel off the masking tape and hey presto, your vehicle has been driving through dusty conditions with the wipers on. :thumbup:

If you want it to look like someone has wiped the dust off with their hand or sleeve, either paint and rub with a cotton bud while it is still wet, or stick a blob of blue tack on the windows and wash over it.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Rob that's magic stuff.I will give those tips a go. Thanks again for all the advice Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Busy day and some work done on paint finishes and the wheels. The lego technics wheels needed work on the tyres and inserts for the hubs. Here are ths results:
And this is what the real thing looks like when it is renovated for show

Next I need to find or make a driver and work on the finishes, but I think I'm almost there!

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
The last photo there really pulls your efforts together. I agree, you are almost there. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Painless. I just managed to buy three forces of valor posable figures, one from evilbay and 2 from tankzone, so I'm on a roll!

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress with divisional markings and decals. I tried stencilling the stars on and the result was much worse than a dogs breakfast. Between my lousy stencil and rotten technique I got massive bleeds under the stencil. I suspect it was my bad technique as much as anything - much practicing called for. Quickly cleaned it off and applied some decals I got from Cornwall Model Boats - they have a really brilliant collection if anyone needs them. Also got some 2mm rings for the tarpaulin from them and they also worked nicely. Finally I did a wash over with 30% black acrylic with 70% water just to dull down the decals and insignia.
Anyway here's the end result, just waiting for the driver to arrive and I have to paint on the truck id on the front and back bumper.

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I really like how this truck turned out Alwyn :thumbup: ....It'll be a cool addition to any battlefield :D

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Alpha, I'm well pleased and many thanks for all the help and advice from everyone without which it wouldn't have been anywhere near like it is. The cunning plan now is to scratch build a 1/16 17 pounder to tow behind it, but that's another thread. I will probably be bringing it to Hyde on the 28th so I can play on the obstacle course (along with my poorly tank to beg for some help!).

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Finally Fred the driver put in an appearance so the model is now finished (as much as any is).

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”