First tank..Tiger 1

Tricky13
Recruit

Re: First tank..Tiger 1

Post by Tricky13 »

Thanks gentlemen :D at least now I don't feel I put in all that work for nothing, aside from my liking the overall result, I didn't go as into detail as some here, don't think I have the attention span,

I think I will use the markings that it came with, perhaps with some number editing, and I do think it perhaps needs some more weathering effects, but I don't want to over do it, I think it comes out as cleaner in the photos, and although I am fond of photography I think I need to brush up on the macro side.

Any suggestions for further improvement welcome. :)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tricky,
Get your camera out and take pictures as you work through the steps. The pictures you take are your captured attention span. ;o) Build threads are beautiful things and incredibly useful to those of us who walk into a build like walking into a room full of sealed boxes. Having some direction of how to begin and tips and tricks to follow really helps keep the 'Fun' in it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi Tricky,

I found this article helpful when I was considering Numbers for my first German tank build.

http://bunker3030.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0 ... digit.html

It explains the basics of german tank numbering during WWII. a good model can often be made great with a little research and attention to detail :thumbup:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Amazing how some weld lines and nice paint and weathering can make the Heng Long Tiger look so good! Great work!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Nice work :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great looking tank
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
Rangie81
Private

Post by Rangie81 »

Looks really good - i will be starting my first Tiger (and infact RC tank) soon, and will take some inspiration and advice fromyour build thread. Welds will be my first learning curve.
Cheers for thread.
So many upgrades so little cash :haha:
Arte et Marte
Mens Sana in Corpre Sano
Certa Cito
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

Hi

as jack said change the cupola position before painting ! the paint wont match !!!! nice welds ! oh and check out my post for the trunion inside the rommel bin :clap: :clap:
tiger tiger
Sergeant

Post by tiger tiger »

Great first tank tricky. i like the grouting effect for mud splash, check out the forum for hints n tips like in "Things to fix on your new tank" or "Tips n tricks" there are loads of useful stuff in them to help with builds.
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tricky, your painting and the general finish are exemplary BUT I am going to be picky the CUPOLA is in the wrong position, as of course when delivered they all are, it is the easiest of fixes, The Hatch handle should be between 10 past and 1/4 past and the Hatch hinge should be between 20 to and 1/4 to this gives you a vision slit facing straight foreward, THE FIX, Put a loose fitting blade into the vision slit nearest the side of the Tank and GENTLY lift,then do the same on the opposite vision slit, as you do this you will hear a cracking sound, it is ok, that is the glue failing, lift the CUPOLA off and on its underside you will see the fitting that goes into a slot that the cupola sits on, to get the cupola in the right place that fitting will need to be ground off, then seat the cupola where I have described and if it is flush, lightly glue it in place. sorry if you think I am being awkward but because it is so easy to fix I figure why not? :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Thanks for the comments and tips guys :) I have been preoccupied with other things just lately so haven't been doing anything to the Tiger, but plan of some more work very soon, will have a look at the cupola Shaun, and see about getting it correct.

I did glue up the std nylon gears clutch which helped a bit, but it looks like It will need more power for turns, but that will have to wait for now.

Return to “Tiger I”