King Tiger Restoration.

MPFIEND
Private

Re: King Tiger Restoration.

Post by MPFIEND »

Good afternoon,

Here is another update for you, I have now painted the base camouflage ready for weathering and paint effects.
Paints used were by AK interactive and tamiya.

Best Regards

Keith.
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

Looks fantastic Keith can't wait to see it finished...... :D :D :D Not sure if you have upgraded the idler drums in the rear but the standard tamiya spring loaded idler set up isn't the best and a set of schumo idler drum are worth the money in the long run, I run schumo idler set up in all 3 of my KT's thats just my opinion Keith.

Cheers Ken
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

Thanks for looking in Reaper,

This is going to be an out of box build now, I have two other tamiya tanks and a truck in my stash that will get some aftermarket goodies.

I'll post some more progress soon.

Best regards

Keith.
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

Nice paint job there Keith.
Good work fella :thumbup:
I assume your not a newb at this painting malarkey
So can't wait for the end product.
What do you have in mind for the weathering?
Cheers
Lister
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

lister fiend wrote:Nice paint job there Keith.
Good work fella :thumbup:
I assume your not a newb at this painting malarkey
So can't wait for the end product.
What do you have in mind for the weathering?
Cheers
Lister
Hi Lister,
Thanks very much.
I have been painting models now for quite a while (Armour, cars, Aircraft and figures) so I have had a bit of practice.
my usual method for armour is: paint, filters, oil paint rendering and colour mapping then washes and mud. all in that order.
I plan for this to have quite a "lived in" appearance.

More soon.

Keith
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

That is uber cool! :clap: I see you have been doing this before. I especially like how the camouflage abruptly changes on the fender line. I have seen period photos with this same effect. Your attention to detail is outstanding!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Brilliant build. FYI a few years back the Museum gift shop which sells Tamiya individual parts had a sell, me and Albert purchased many of the KT Kit parts and most all of the hardware. If you need a few pieces feel free to ask. The stuff has been sitting on my bench for ever. Happy to share.

Really like the paintwork, very well done as I have painted three and cannot seem to get anywhere near as detailed. Also have you considered the MATT Varnish weathering techniques or used the Tamiya FLAT BASE mixture?

Just curious as to your methods.

cheers Saxondog.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

jeff1101 wrote:That is uber cool! :clap: I see you have been doing this before. I especially like how the camouflage abruptly changes on the fender line. I have seen period photos with this same effect. Your attention to detail is outstanding!
Thanks very much Jeff
Saxondog wrote:Brilliant build. FYI a few years back the Museum gift shop which sells Tamiya individual parts had a sell, me and Albert purchased many of the KT Kit parts and most all of the hardware. If you need a few pieces feel free to ask. The stuff has been sitting on my bench for ever. Happy to share.

Really like the paintwork, very well done as I have painted three and cannot seem to get anywhere near as detailed. Also have you considered the MATT Varnish weathering techniques or used the Tamiya FLAT BASE mixture?

Just curious as to your methods.

cheers Saxondog.
Thanks very much Saxondog for the offer, I think I have all the parts I need now, some of them took some finding though (god bless the internet). if I find I'm missing any thing else I'll give you a shout.
I used Ak interactive paints for the camouflage scheme, they were sprayed at a low pressure (around 12PSI) thinned out a little with water, this helps reduce over spray and allows for a much tighter pattern. the paints give a satin finish, which is useful for my next steps which are paint filters and washes to further tone the different areas of the vehicle followed by selective application of oil paints to recreate various effects. these steps give the tank a more matt finish, although having different finishes i.e. matt, satin and gloss across the surfaces all adds to the effect.
if you need any more info let me know.

Best Regards

Keith.
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

Good afternoon,

Here is an update to my King Tiger for you.

Some oil paint rendering on the Turret:

The start of some streaking effects:

Filters chips and washes on the rear deck:

Detail painting and some more chipping and streaking:

More oil paint effects and streaking:

ImageImage

Finally some work on the rear hull, exhaust and jack block fitted and chipped ready for weathering:

More soon

Best Regards

Keith.
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

What a masterpiece - you can be proud of your work

cheers
Steen

Return to “King Tiger”