Super P

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Super P

Post by PainlessWolf »

Pale,
Now that is Extra Sweet! No wonder your German armor is concerned. :o) I'm looking forward to another round of your amazing detailing now.
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: EXCELLENT pale... SHERMAN next ? :haha: just kidding... great job ... like those hydraulics :thumbup:

ALPHA
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

I dont know anything about the Super P, but the recoil cylinders were outside the tank? :wtf: Can anyone tell me how this worked as the cylinders dont seem to be attached to the barrel. Are they just an extra pressure tank to hold the hydraulic fluid? Also I am guessing this is just a prototype and they did have a plan to put this internally as it looks to be a very tempting target for an enemy tank.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jeff there is some newsreel out there showing the only Super Pershing in Germany towards the end of the war, it took on and destroyed everything the German armed forces put against it, it destroyed both Tiger 1s and King Tigers. Both Super Pershing and crew were unscathed unlike their enemy armed forces, it must have shocked the Garman tankers who had become used to finishing anything the Allies in the West put in the field against them. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I have been attempting to do some research on the Super Pershing this morning. The tank is still largely a mystery to this day. I did find out that it came to Germany looking much like Pale has it now, without the additional glacis and turret armor. That was added in the field, some 7 tons of it in highly creative fashion after we started losing Pershings to German anti tank and tank fire. Belton Cooper has some very good things to say about the Super Pershing in a chapter in his 'Deathtraps' book. "We started to realize that we had a weapon!"
regards.
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

This evening I tore the barrel apart and got rid of the complete brass airsoft barrel that resided inside of the fishing pole section. I stubbed the very end of the muzzle with about 2.5 in of aluminum barrel material, and about 6 in the breech end. Now the spring return set up forces the barrel to its position tight against the rotating elevation servo wheel. The barrel weighs about 1/3 of its previous self.

I spent a bit of time building and assembling the additional turret and mantlet armor. Got it all put together and it works marvelously.
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

I received a nice package from Sassgrunt, who took the time to get me a whole bunch of great refernence, articles and a proper hatch for my turret. I can not thank you enough. Many, many thanks!!!!!! I will get it cut and put in place later this eve. I hope to repay the favor sometime in the future.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Pale,
Sassgrunt is the man, definitely. Between him and his neighbor, Alpha, they have sped my build along greatly with their shipments and kindnesses. You could not ask for a nicer guy to know, either.
warm regards,
Painless
P.S. I won that Mato Turret today, let me know if you need anything off of it. ( I lay claim to the enclosure for the Loader's Periscope and the airgun itself )
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Man, if you keep talking like that, my head is going to swell up so much that I'm never going to get out the door. Just remember that many of you have the skills to create magnificent builds; and that some of us are only qualified to send extra parts to help those builds out. Ha.
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

After receiving the correct hatch today courtesy of Sassgrunt, I snuck in an hour of modeling this eve. I managed to get the turret set and some of the handles taken care of on the hatches. I also spent a little more time on the additional armor on the batwings. I got every thing glued up for its final time. I also pinned the batwings into the front mantlet armor, just to be sure.

Return to “Pershing”