Tamiya Early Tiger 1 Static to RC Build

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya Early Tiger 1 Static to RC Build

Post by PainlessWolf »

The right tools make all the difference in the world between fun and drudgery. This is a lesson I seem to have to keep relearning as time goes by. The new Dremel is a Jewel among Butane Torches. If you ever have the chance to nab one on sale, do so. I took the first free afternoon in a couple of days to work on the Tiger again. Tonight was more electrics including the Sound Pot, the Receiver and adjusting the On\Off-Battery wiring. All three pieces are mounted and should work nicely. Tomorrow, I hope to be able to work with the lights and MGs. Pics:
Attachments
A better view of the mount for the On-Off switch.  It and the Pot can be reached through the hatches now.
A better view of the mount for the On-Off switch. It and the Pot can be reached through the hatches now.
Completed for the night.
Completed for the night.
Completed work was actually _Fun_ with the new soldering gun.
Completed work was actually _Fun_ with the new soldering gun.
Nice work from Ian but my placement of the IBU2 and switch required adding extensions.
Nice work from Ian but my placement of the IBU2 and switch required adding extensions.
Receiver was a simple matter of a Velcro mount and using the antenna mount to hold the wires in place.  Little white rectangles are C extrusions glued in place to make a track
Receiver was a simple matter of a Velcro mount and using the antenna mount to hold the wires in place. Little white rectangles are C extrusions glued in place to make a track
30 minutes drilling and sanding gave me a neat little box to mount the Pot with.
30 minutes drilling and sanding gave me a neat little box to mount the Pot with.
30 minutes drilling and sanding gave me a neat little box to mount the Pot with..JPG (99.43 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
I could have used a Velcro square to attach this but the tank called for something more...
I could have used a Velcro square to attach this but the tank called for something more...
I could have used a Velcro square to attach this but the tank called for something more....JPG (87.62 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Tamiya PE scissors.  No more dulling my Exacto blades one after another.
Tamiya PE scissors. No more dulling my Exacto blades one after another.
New battery to test with.  These are a solid and inexpensive series
New battery to test with. These are a solid and inexpensive series
Stuff assembled to get some work done.  Recent organizing allows me to save walking to and digging in the spares closet now.
Stuff assembled to get some work done. Recent organizing allows me to save walking to and digging in the spares closet now.
...Here for the Dawn...
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

So clean! Fantastic job!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Eddy,
Thank you, sir. It will get 'busier'. I have to have long lengths for elevation and traverse and dual MGs so that the deck can be removed without pulling anything loose. I spent today soldering plugs into the wiring harness. The only major soldering left is the turret MG and the bow MG. I'll take care of those tomorrow. The Tiger LIVES! Pics:
Attachments
My favorite sound file is the cold start up.  ;o)  This Beast roars!
My favorite sound file is the cold start up. ;o) This Beast roars!
Super cool Flysky
Super cool Flysky
Plugs added for the Headlights, Traverse and Elevation.  Recoil plugs into the MFU
Plugs added for the Headlights, Traverse and Elevation. Recoil plugs into the MFU
Plugs added for the Headlights, Traverse and Elevation. Recoil plugs into the MFU.JPG (97.38 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Mounted and ready for plug in.
Mounted and ready for plug in.
Starting out on adding the ECW plugs to the headlights.  Some Mark One eyeball measuring there.
Starting out on adding the ECW plugs to the headlights. Some Mark One eyeball measuring there.
Soldered and mounted out of the way.  It works but is very dim.  I know the IBU2 has a setting where you can turn it up.
Soldered and mounted out of the way. It works but is very dim. I know the IBU2 has a setting where you can turn it up.
Enameled wiring for the Convoy light
Enameled wiring for the Convoy light
Enameled wiring for the Convoy light.JPG (97.1 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Top drawer work Mr Wolf.

So is that cold start off the starter motor or cold start with the crank handle ?
(I like the crank handle version personally) :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Tiggr,
It is the cold start off of the starter motor. The sound set on this board is Amazing! Maxs Speaker and Box unit is the perfect tool to play everything on.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tonight saw the last of the Electronics sorted out. The tank has working dual MGs now that can be selected by a switch on the TX. I brightened up the rear Convoy light as well. The last thing I did was lengthen up the wire and plug for the barrel flash LED in the turret. Everything in the lower hull is in it's place so later this week, I can snap the deck and turret back together and get to final detailing and paint. I called up Sassgrunt today and had him listen to the Cold Start and Idle. I think he was pleased *chuckles* ;o) Not a lot of Pics (because watching some guy solder plugs onto wires can be deadly dull):
Attachments
Turret wiring completed with various plugs required.
Turret wiring completed with various plugs required.
Turret wiring completed with various plugs required..JPG (92.83 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
All lower hull wiring completed and ready for plug in.
All lower hull wiring completed and ready for plug in.
...Here for the Dawn...
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

Excellent craftsmanship Painless and so cleaned up... :clap:
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening, Hotte,
Thank you, Sir. If Sassgrunt ever needs to take it apart, it will be easy to do. Just unsnap some plugs and the Turret, Deck and Lower Hull are ready to separate.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening, Hotte,
Thank you, Sir. If Sassgrunt ever needs to take it apart, it will be easy to do. Just unsnap some plugs and the Turret, Deck and Lower Hull are ready to separate.
regards,
Painless

Naaahhhh................."place in box- tape shut- call courier"
Now thats easy !!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening, Hotte,
regards,
Painless

Naaahhhh................."place in box- tape shut- call courier"
Now thats easy !!!!
Not forgetting to kick it around the workshop a few times to give it that used look eh Herman. :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Tiger I”