Sergeant

Re: DAK Pz IV Ausf G Build

Post by philipat »

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like it!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

philipat wrote:Got some more work done on the upper hull.

Hatches: all of them have a support shelf installed using styrene sheet and a 2x1-mm disc rare earth magnet for each hatch. I cut a small piece of steel from frozen juice can lids and glued it to each hatch right where the magnet is. The magnet is strong enough to hold the hatch closed, but not make it impossible to open it.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you secure the hatch hinges to the hull? I've just got a set of metal hatches for my Tank & there doesn't seem to be a secure method of attachment?
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
I am the Law!
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Sorry about the delay. I had to open mine up to look.

The back of the hinges have posts. I drilled holes into the hull for the posts. Then, I glued the hinge in place using JBWeld (https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube). Let the epoxy sit for at least 24 hours before trying to handle the hull. 48 hours is even better; more than that isn't necessary.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

philipat wrote:Sorry about the delay. I had to open mine up to look.

The back of the hinges have posts. I drilled holes into the hull for the posts. Then, I glued the hinge in place using JBWeld (https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube). Let the epoxy sit for at least 24 hours before trying to handle the hull. 48 hours is even better; more than that isn't necessary.
Thanks Philpat.There's been no rush at the moment as I have been DIYing around the house, which is why I've only just finish as much work as I can do on my Tiger this evening. All the hatches need undercoating & spraying up {I washed everything in warm water so I was leaving them to dry on a soft towel} if I get chance tomorrow.
I am the Law!
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Any more work done to show us, great build.
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Thanks.

She's done, dude! :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?p=215859#p215859

8)
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Philipat, I remember following along when you got started on this one. I love the final result, great simple but stylish paint job and decorations. The suspension and interior were great highlights of the build too. Glad to see those headlights looking so good as well!
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Thanks, Sovereign!

Return to “Panzer IV”