New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Post by Saxondog »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lac4tOm ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is the result of the battle between the Pershing and the Tiger. Not really specifically scientific,or even fair as the poor Tiger has only 3/4 of it's original strength.

But it is what it is..... :wave: :wave:
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

I can guess what going to be on your tv over the xmas hols Saxondog ;)
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
magmer
Lance Corporal

Post by magmer »

From what I have read about the 90mm gun in the Pershing it was a bit disappointing in its performance. Not that I would like to be on the receiving end of one!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I was curious about the 90mm gun and did some research,their were many variants including an anti-aircraft use. Very similar to the multiple uses of the 88, but what I find odd is the lack of deployment and the mass production of this weapon earlier in the war?

The 75mm gun was just to ineffective yet they continued to produce this gun throughout the conflict?

As far as TV and the holiday, not sure. Hopefully I can finish the King Tiger I'M painting and then complete the other King Tiger I started painting months back,the gun assembly is an issue with the Henschel and the Lack of Tamiya paints here in the states. I have order the Matt clear on line(Thanks Steiner) and maybe it will arrive.

Not real clear on the problem,the Hobby shop tells me Government regulation on the classification of the Tamiya Paints is the issue,yet it is available on line? Typical Government complicating a simple process by regulating something that is harmless.
Waiting on Santa with the crew
Waiting on Santa with the crew
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Well i hope your Kt's go well for you. Look forward to seeing them. As for the paints am surprised that the Us is so low on Tamyia. Here in the uk its normaly the other way round. That is modeling you look on line and our stocks are either very low ,or you guys in the Us have so many more goodies to have ..well you know what i meen :D .
As for Paint ..i like Auto-Air colours..i like to mix my own shades. others i have used are Lifecolor, they spray very well. Com.Art is another they do some nice Transparents that you can mix for washes. and ofc there is Vallejo. For clears I have used Auto-airs ,Lifecolors and Vallejo's and find all 3 work realy well.
I have just finished my Tamyia Tiger 1..will have to try and get some pics up over the hols.
Merry Xmas to all :D
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The local shop has all these brands,they have been around for 30+ years,but three months back Tamiya just stopped.I purchased the last 5-bottles of XF-60 Dark Yellow and the last 2 each of the green and red=brown.

I have used TESTORS ENAMEL model Masters for years,but on my ships. When I joined here and OZ helped me and Steiner paint our Tiger(painting and weathering in Gray) I used Testors but realized with the airbrush enamel was a hassle,constant cleaning or my gun and the thinning issues were much more demanding. All the while OZ and Steiner are using Tamiya and thinning with SCREEN WASH and changing colors in minutes.

So here I am Paasche double action gun,all the Tamiya paints and considering the ratio and the tone,do you use the 1 to 1 thinning ratio? Are you using screen wash as the thinner? Please advise,Blake
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Glen B wrote:
mustclime wrote:the m26 would have gotten to the war a year earler. Figure in 3-6 months they would have sorted out the drivetrain
I recall reading that the M26 drive train issues were still present in the first year of the Korean War in 1950 and it was removed from combat after the first year, there.
After the war was won....the America stopped 90% of the wepons devleopment except when it came to the "A/H bombs" and how to deploy them for the most part.....With the A bomb there would be no more tank battles...or so they thought....

The m26's in the korean war were from 1945...the ones brought over from japan had dryrot on all the hoses and belts so they were all overheating as the cooling systems failed comming out of the storage areas...Seems after the war, the US did not want to pay for the mantance of a lot of the tools of war....

If you are interested in the m26....this is a great sight .....

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthr ... shing-Tank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthr ... shing-Tank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Notice in the Gun versus Armor comparison that the Pershing 90mm 53 caliber gun could defeat the Panther D armor out to 2000 meters, while the Panther D 75mm 70 caliber gun failed to penetrate the Pershing armor beyond 600 meters. The Pershing 90mm 53 caliber gun could defeat the Tiger II (King Tiger) armor out to 1300 meters, while the Tiger II (King Tiger) 88mm 71 caliber gun could penetrate the Pershing armor out to 1800 meters - a pretty close match, with the Pershing having the edge in mobility.
-
I do not agree with the mobility comment,400hp V8 was a terrible power plant,they rated off road speeds at 5mph. What advantage is that? But the link is very interesting as a source for data on the M26 The conclusion is another story.
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

I am not so sure I have much trust in those links.
For one thing it doesn't say anything about the type of Armour, slope what shot was used etc.
anyway I would still take a Late Tiger over anything the Allies built, don't care or when or where.
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Wow,there is quite the cult of the greman tank on this site...have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5bJQOk ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this was a good discussion on the m26 on another site...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=108255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, the m26 had 500hp ...this was around 12 hp per ton....a tiger 1 had 13.7 hp per ton while a kt was around 10hp per ton....

If any of you want to make a hl m26 look a bit more "real"....this is a great thread by someone that served in one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5596905/tm.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Discussion”