Opinions needed!

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Opinions needed!

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Ok, took a look in the daylight and still think it needs another coat on the stripes. I also took the oppotunity to add a set of brass s-mine launchers from Militarymight
The numbers are from the decal sheet that comes with the HL Panzer IV's - strickly speaking the turret number should be 834 or 832 according to the original heavy tank battalion TO&E I found here:
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers.htm
unfortunatly 835 was the closest I could get(!) but they will do for now - I can always lift them off with a sharp knife and replace them later.

@ Tailend Charlie - you have made a liar of me, sir! (  ;)  ;D )
I looked at a pic of the Bovington tiger '131' today and you were correct - Testor's Model Master 2095 Grunbraun over Testor's Model Master 2102 Afrika Braun looks to be spot on! 131 was with sPz Abt 504 tho and they didn't arrive until very late on in the campaign, so probably not a good reference for me  :(

As for decals for you, I have 2 sets of the Elite Armor DAK Tiger set here, I intend to use both sets of the yellow/black tiger emblems and the heavy tank unit tactical markings, but I can send you the leftovers and you can 'Frankenstein' 3 sets of 142 (assuming you need red on white numbers?) and if you're good enough with the paint brush, you can apply the 'black only' unit insignias apply over a dab of yellow and then tidy up around it afterwards...? PM me if you're interested? (www.elitearmor.com for the sheet layout)

I'm currently breaking down my Tiger I and getting that ready to paint, it has a base coat of Tamiya XF57 so a broad coat of Testor's 2102 should make an interesting contrast with the PzIII. I already have the front track guards cut down, the mantlet ground down around the gunsights and the headlamps removed from the hull top, just need to fabricate some new headlamp brackets tomorrow and she should be good to go...

Cheer's once again for yor help guys!
Mart
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tankman

Post by tankman »

Look's good to me. Having been to see the restored Tiger at Bovington I can confirm the colours they use have a very small degree of diffrence between them.  In fact it's not till you stand well back you even notice it is a cammo scheme. As I said though yours looks good to me, a couple of washes and some highlighting should make everything tie in very well. All the best and a happy new year
Alan 
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I gave her a second coat of Afrika Dunkelgrau, as much to cover up a couple of areas where paint had run and puddled as anything else.
Decals are now on:

Return to “Show Off”