WINTER 23-24 KV-1 to KV-85 to KV-2 COMPLETED!

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: WINTER 23-24 KV-1 to KV-85 to KV-2 Phew!

Post by ColemanCollector »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:14 am "Less of a 'tank build,' and more of a 'tank stripdown' ": that's a good description of my first steps with the Pershing, too. I found that some of the Taigen parts came off quite easily, as if they were just pressed into holes without any glue at all. Others were stubborn critters. I would have been wincing as I removed the added armor on the KV. I have a book or two (not much) on the KV tanks. I wish there were more information out there.
Ah, Meter rat, in Wisconsin we call the "Wood Rats" because they annually commit automobile suicide by the thousands. My insurance agent called the one that hit me a "natural disaster," covered under my policy like storm damage.
You are correct, Professor--there was some wincing--and underside dremelling--to free up a bunch of the parts. The KV-2 is pretty sparse photos and imagewise, but I guess with only a few hundred made, and a nasty time of the war to be pausing to take some selfies with your tank, it's understandable! Like yourself, I've got a couple of KV books to comb, and the rest is here and there in other references. Based on the photo and caption below, my time period choice of late-winter '42 makes my KV-2 the last of the line. I will fill in the holes I've made with care and pride for the Motherland!
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 37446 times
Photo from "Stalin's Heavy Tanks 1941-45", S Zaloga, J Kinnear, A Aksenov, A Koshchavtsev

And no nicknames for deer in my area except @#$%&^. Deer-vehicle collisions are so frequent in our county that the police get the details over the phone, and unless an officer is nearby to attend, just send you the report number for your insurance company. Darn things are never like "a deer caught in the headlights", they just sproing out at you from the ditch when you're 5m from them!

Mike.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

You could do a captured one-

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Note the position of the oil tanks on the guard there in the last pic.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:43 am Note the position of the oil tanks on the guard there in the last pic.
Yes, indeed I have! Now, every KV-2 photo I find, I'm looking for those tanks. But where will I ever be able to find some? :think: ;) ;D

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am surprised by the condition of the KV-2 in the first photo MrChef put up. At some point, that monster was still Russian property, and it must have been in good shape, maybe not far out the factory door. Now ColemanCollector, that second captured KV-2 in winter whitewash could be a superb winter build subject, especially since it was likely captured in that whitewash and could also be done as a Russian KV-2. In fact, I read in some book...the scholarly citation is "some book" :/ ...anyway, I read in some book that some KV-2s were captured by the Germans and recovered by the Russian.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:57 pm Now ColemanCollector, that second captured KV-2 in winter whitewash could be a superb winter build subject, especially since it was likely captured in that whitewash and could also be done as a Russian KV-2. In fact, I read in some book...the scholarly citation is "some book" :/ ...anyway, I read in some book that some KV-2s were captured by the Germans and recovered by the Russian.
Uncle Night Shift did a slammin version of a well weathered winter KV2-
phpBB [video]
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Years ago while desperately searching for a KV-2 turret, this photo of a Mig Jiminez build made me stop and go, "Whoa!"
KV2c.jpg
KV2c.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 37381 times
I'll be using it for inspiration, but I'll need to ratchet up my subtlety dial an awful lot. A fee other dials, too.

Mike.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

I'm on board with ^^^That!^^^
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I did one as well
viewtopic.php?t=33915
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Yow! That opening toolbox complete with tiny hammer and sickle, wrench, pliers etc tools is righteous Mr. BIX!

Mike.

Return to “Group Builds”