1/16 Pz2 F - WIP

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/16 Pz2 F - WIP

Post by Raminator »

It's a shame that the pewter casting didn't work out straight away, but it's really cool seeing how it's done. Hopefully the printed ones will hold up since it's such a light vehicle, but at least the resin printer works in your favour by doing 48 in one shot!
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Raminator wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:35 am [shame pewter didn't work} ... [cool seeing how it's done. Hopefully the printed ones will hold up] ... [resin printer works in your favour by doing 48 in one shot}
Yeah, wish it would have, happy to share, i also hope they hold up, for now its standard resin but i have a bottle of the tough stuff for if it doesnt, yeah id probably go insane casting 8 at a time :P

Work creeps onward, i tried it with two servo controller boards as escs, it can go forward and backwards but not overcome the friction to turn, i should be getting a couple of 20a escs tomorrow so i can properly try driving it.
(ive received the Arduino and components to build the Baldock Shield, PCBs should hopefully arrive early the week too.)

Got the top of the hull sorted just now.

Going to look at adding in magnets or something to hold top on firm enough to reliable negotiate scale terrain.

Peeking through on the left side of the turret ring is a mount for a servo that will do rotation.
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Alright, we have turret rotation sorted:

One can also see some screws and pins holding stuff together, ive cut the pins flush with the surface as the area they are in sits flush against the edges of the lower hull, the rightmost part is the top of the front (glacis?), it is currently just pinned but ill be gluing it to the top of the hull later on if i do not see any need to change it.

The reason i might is that i might add a spare road wheel to the front as is often seen in pics and model kits.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Hell of an achievement :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Working on gun elevation mechanism, i think im pretty much done, gonna test print it as soon as the turret itself has printed:

The flanges sticking down from the cupola hole have holes at the bottom so i will be able to put in a bar for the cupola itself to clip onto and later be able to make a mount for a hatch modeled to hold IR sensors or a commander figure. (or a combo there of)
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Righto, got the turret together and ran using a servo tester, rotation and elevation work.

Also mostly soldered up the Baldock Shield, waiting for a confirmation on the direction of the two LEDs.

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:thumbup: In the sentence from my youth: "Keep on keepin' on!" Aren't those servo testers handy-dandy? I got the tip here on RCTW, and I am so glad I got one---simple, but a great help.
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:56 am Aren't those servo testers handy-dandy?
Keepin' will indeed be on ;)

They are great for sure, no need to involve rx/tx for testing simple functions.

And they have even more uses.
i used one hooked to brushed esc hooked to a nichrome wire, instead of a motor, to make a hot wire foam cutter, turning the tester set the temperature.
And another time, a motor with a custom made sanding attachment for use as a mini bench sander, turning the tester set the speed.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

i used one hooked to brushed esc hooked to a nichrome wire, instead of a motor, to make a hot wire foam cutter, turning the tester set the temperature.
And another time, a motor with a custom made sanding attachment for use as a mini bench sander, turning the tester set the speed.

Oh, you are clever! To quote a northern US phrase expressing approval and amusement: WHAT A HOOT!
ziddan
Recruit

Post by ziddan »

Designed and printed a mount to hold the MegaBaldock in the hull, i glued the left side which is a slot into which the side of the shield sits and on the right there is a clip that snaps onto the suspension thingie.

Hidden unter the MegaBaldock are the RX and the Dasmikro v2.

The ESCs that were supposed to arrive yesterday were delayed so i havnt been able to fit those, i expect they will be able to go on top of the gearboxes.

Other than the escs and wires for LEDs i think most of the intended bits are in.

Speaker position isnt nailed down, i think mounting it to shoot up through the vents above where the battery connector is currently resting might be the way to go.

Its going to be a squeeze if i try fitting IR as the tcb stack cant be any higher and still allow for the hull to close, it might be possible to move the RX and Dasmikro and mount the tcb upside down to get some extra room but ill see about that. Another option might be to solder up another baldock shield to have the mega go on the bottom and stick down between the internal suspension bits.

For now im not sure if a smoker would fit and from what i understand the petrol driven tanks didnt smoke a lot, if i added smoke it would mostly be for a destruction effect in IR battle but that is also something for later.

Right now its got Pz3 sounds in it, im going to replace the canon sound effect with a burst of KWK20 fire which i think should be ok for representing the gun when using the light tank setting for Tamiya IR rules.
Might try to find amaller motor+lighter tank sounds for the other effects later on.

Return to “3D Printing”