Oshkosh 6x6 truck build

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Oshkosh 6x6 truck build

Post by wibblywobbly »

The new Arduino board arrived, I plugged it in and was printing like a champ again. I sent Arduino a few pics of the old board, and although it appeared genuine to me, right down to their gold coloured custom chip, they told me it wasn't, so I will get a VR and solder it myself.

Anyhow, here is where I am at the moment.
Attachments
DSCN1234.JPG
DSCN1235.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Rob looking good ,still saving for mine LOL

regards pete
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Rob, that's coming along nicely.

John
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Its taking shape, done a bit more now, will post some pics when I get the chance. Waiting for a new reel of filament before I print anything else, just a few bits to go behind the cab. I also want to do a static hoist to go on the back. Then its fuel tanks, lights and mudguards, and some stowage.

The nice thing about these trucks is that all of the parts and hop ups are available. To change it into an eight wheeler all I buy is two chassis extension rails, a servo, and a steering axle. with wheels.

I'll also look at upgrading the motor to a rock crawler one, and installing a decent esc.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Waiting for the new reel of filament before I can do much else, but this is where I am. The cab is all rock solid, I started designing a dashboard and interior, but soon realised that the centre of gravity would be too high to go adding too much stuff up there. If its used for rock crawling then rollovers go with the territory, so a low c of g is the thing to go for. I'll dust the windows with an airbrush, so no one can see inside. :angel:
Attachments
DSCN1237.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Coooolll, can't wait to see it in action. If top weight is an issue you could always use balsa for the load bed as I did on my trucks (mind you for a rock crawler it probably wouldn't stand up to the wear and tear)? Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It wouldn't do a lot of good, there is already a large sheet of alloy running front to back that I have used to take the flex out of the chassis. The other minor issue I have is that the steering servo is chassis mounted, so the front axle moves when steering, which means I lose the full steering lock. I need to either remount the servo on the axle, or stiffen up the front end using a panhard rod, or an Axial A frame. Just another problem to apply myself to.... :problem:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

3 hours into a 5 hour print, just using up the last of the filament on the reel, its touch and go as to whether there is enough there to complete the exhaust... 8O
Attachments
DSCN1238.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

That was close!! Jeez...
Attachments
DSCN1240.JPG
DSCN1239.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob, can you please give me the stats on the chassis - track width and wheelbase, because I saw the chassis and a sudden thought came to my head - DUKW. I wondered if the transfer box and motor could be waterproofed in which case the rest is just scratch build.....

Incidentally I saw this and got excited - how does the spec compare with the one you bought?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221985481951? ... EBIDX%3AIT

At this price it's almost sneakable!! I don't think the missus would go with the auto cake icer story, she's much too tech savvy to let that one get by!

Cheers
Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”