Sdkfz 222 build by Johnf

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Sdkfz 222 build by Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Alpha,
The body work is steel sheet. 1.5 mm I think. Chassis and wheels are aluminium, Tyres are solid rubber and add a bit of weight. When I bought it, it was fully built and running. Easy to lift out of the car. Newer Armortek models are mostly aluminium rather than steel. This model has been out for quite some time. I guess they will bring out some new small models in the future but I believe no plans for another release of the 222. They could always do a 223.

I have quite a few spare parts including tyres and might do a scratch build at some future time.

Pricewise, I was lucky with this one. £1100 including every option delivered to my workshop. Even included futaba, batteries and some books. 8)

My wife thinks I'm building this for my son. He's just 16 months old. :haha: He does show an early interest in tanks though.

I will try to get it on a scales sometime but guess around 30-40 kg
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Johnf wrote:Alpha,
The body work is steel sheet. 1.5 mm I think. Chassis and wheels are aluminium, Tyres are solid rubber and add a bit of weight. When I bought it, it was fully built and running. Easy to lift out of the car. Newer Armortek models are mostly aluminium rather than steel. This model has been out for quite some time. I guess they will bring out some new small models in the future but I believe no plans for another release of the 222. They could always do a 223.

I have quite a few spare parts including tyres and might do a scratch build at some future time.

Pricewise, I was lucky with this one. £1100 including every option delivered to my workshop. Even included futaba, batteries and some books. 8)

My wife thinks I'm building this for my son. He's just 16 months old. :haha: He does show an early interest in tanks though.

I will try to get it on a scales sometime but guess around 30-40 kg
Nothing wrong with steel...it's more friendly to repair :D ...and nothing wrong with saying it's for your son ;) ...16 months old...he may not be able to play with it...but you might be able to allow him to ride on it :haha:

Super build John...I really like it :thumbup:

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

A long way from complete. I need to make locking mechanisms for all doors an hatches.

Similar photos but lighter background.

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey JohnF :wave: ...Working hard I see....always wondered what happened to this one...so which takes priority.. this or the new Tiger ;)

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I'm working on four vehicles and I move about from one to the other.
I need to get the new turret components secured in the Tiger turret. Then ass the 88 mm ammo bins and ammo. I will add the 64 rounds in the bins and make dummy floor bins with just one round each. So total number of rounds on board will be 74.

Sdkfz 222 Build fully functional storage box on left side. The kit one was rubbish. Including a detailed one would have made the kit very expensive. Any way I made my own mudguards in brass as the kit ones did not match the drawings in panzer tracts.

Panzer IV on hold pending publication of Panzer Tracts 4-3. Looking for information on Shurzen framework.

2nd Tiger 1. No rush.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Just Curious John...when making components for your armor....do you find you use metal more than plastic?....as I see very little plastic on any of them ;)

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I do not use plastic except to make masters for casting parts. Seasts are upholstered in soft leather. Glass blocks for periscopes and viewports are cast in clear resin.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Johnf wrote:I do not use plastic except to make masters for casting parts. Seasts are upholstered in soft leather. Glass blocks for periscopes and viewports are cast in clear resin.
8O ..........Doesn't seem you have the space for all that equipment in your workshop...or did it get bigger :O

ALPHA

Return to “Larger Scale Military”