Re: Panther G to early D

Tailend charlie
Lance Corporal

Post by Tailend charlie »

Thanks Chris, Match what level of detail. I see a lot of builds here and they all have their unique level of details. Yours I am sure will be one of them. Just remember a lot of banging, cursing and as my wife says tenter tantrums and you can achieve any level of detail you want. There you know my secret
You have nothing to fear, but fear its self. Or maybe a KT too!
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

very good , alot of effort but it pays off
all the best, ice
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

hi richard it sounds like youre wife is on the same wavelength as mine, she often says something similar when i'm beavering away at something on my tanks, i often turn the air blue, and bits & pieces go pinging everywhere, she says " now now, temper temper"  ;) ;D ;D

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

sounds very familier tony, ;D ;D
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
Tailend charlie
Lance Corporal

OK, not much has been done. I am still waiting on parts so I redid the drivers vision out of brass and modified one of sixteen wheels bolt count. Just to see if my theory worked and it did. Went from twenty four to sixteen bolts. Also picked up a book on the Panther D it has accurate 1/10 and 1/35 scale pictures of almost every major part. So I had to replace some bolts (to big) and add some. I am moving forward slowly, but surely.
Last edited by Tailend charlie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

Looking really good Richard. I wondered if you would modify the bolt count on some or all of the wheels. The 16 bolt wheel looks great. Doesn't apply for a 'A' thank the stars! But I think we both have a problem with the idlers. I noticed the other day how different the 'G' idler is from the 'D' or the 'A'. I read that the 'G' idler is actually bigger too (but only by 50mm so not too noticeable). I'm thinking that my Panther 'A' will have to be a 1944 representation which 'just happens to have' later pattern idlers as a field modification/expediency!

I like your drivers vision hatch too - great soldering work.

Cheers
Chris  ;D
Tailend charlie
Lance Corporal

Hey Chris Thanks,
        Yes I am going to do all wheels as my wife says I'm a glutton for punishment. I found these on TankZone and i am going to see if they will work or what kind of mods are needed.

PA60106 Metal Early Idlers Set for Panther A.

Lets see some pics of yours. It has been awhile.

Richard
Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Post by Rivetcounter »

This is a very nice job you have done so far, have a look at the "Panzer Tract's" series of books they have one for the D, model there are also books for the A, G, F and Panther II all have 1/35 and 1/10 diagrams and cover all the detail parts you want, there where more than one turret type for the D model and some of the A models also had 16 bolt road wheels don't forget there is always an overlap on parts used for each type 
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Tailend charlie
Lance Corporal

Thanks rivetcounter.
  I just got that book for the D. It is filled with a wealth of info. The more I get into this build the more I find what you say is true. The over lap, the changes, not made in months, but in days, weeks. One thing is there one week then changed the next. So I picked one made in May '43. It has the 16 rivet road wheels and the 32 flush rivet drive sprocket. I don't have to change that. Also it still retains the turret smoke canisters. Which I wanted. All and all it is turning out to be a fun and challenging build.
Tailend charlie
Lance Corporal

OK parts are trickling in. I finished the wheels (correct rivet count) also installed the correct idler wheels (Chris the A/D idler at TankZone worked out great) and finally found a mix of paint that I think comes close to Dunkelgelb (from a few color photos not colorized it looks close if not spot on).  Now I am working back and forth on the turret, rear panel and deck. Get fed up with one do the other. Also found out that the Tamiya metal hull needs the sides to be extended to match the new side panel slopes and to beable to put the mounts for the skirts. More pics coming.

Return to “Panther”