Super P

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Super P

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike!,
Hello, Sorry, Doc. I didn't even know that you had built one of these Beasts. Definitely one of the more amazing pieces of American armor out since the invention of tanks. ;o) Pictures?
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Mike!,
Hello, Sorry, Doc. I didn't even know that you had built one of these Beasts. Definitely one of the more amazing pieces of American armor out since the invention of tanks. ;o) Pictures?
warm regards,
Painless
:haha: ..YES! ...I agree pictures please :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

fynsdad wrote:Sorry about the crappy pic, but here's what I've done on both my Super-p's. I fixed the bow armour to the upper hull only, which allowed the top to be seperated without a break ;)
That was a beauty of a build to take in fynsdad :D ...as you can see it was pretty unforgettable for me...and the one I would follow if I ever built one of those monsters :thumbup:

Hope you are enjoying the New Year fynsdad

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Yes sir. That was one inspirational tank. I really enjoyed the build thread. Thank you for taking the time to post a shot of that front armor breakdown. I was hoping I could do it this way and still have room to slide the front of the lower hull into that section. I
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

First off, I want to thank Sassgrunt for all of the fantastic help and assistance with the proper loaders hatch. The information has been great to have. Thank you!

I made some progress today. I reinforced the mantlet and inserted the brass bushing deeper into the plastic. The recoil will only be about 3/4 inch. Enough I would imagine with this huge barrel. I also smoothed out all of the areas of the turret in anticipation of the new hatch. I mated up the lower half and upper half of turret and paid some attention to the seam visible on the side. Got it looking pretty good and should just about disappear after casting effect.

I scratched my head for a while making the hydraulic assembly for the top of mantlet and turret. I used the BB barrel cut down for some sections. The I used thick black guitar pickguard material I had lying around for the supports for the hydraulic cylinders. I drilled through the front section for the pivot point. Luckily, the holes lined up drilling in from each side. :) I used some brass tubing and miscellaneous diameter plastic tubing to get it all to work properly. With some grease in it, it actually has some dampening qualities. I am going to put some thought into getting the IR tube mounted in the mantled and extra armor attached to it.

Taking some pointers from Sassgrunt, I went ahead and made some mods to the upper hull and fenders. There is a long way to go, but I am digging the project so far.

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening, Pale,
Masterpiece work with the brass and aluminum recoil cylinders, Sir. There's nothing better to give peaceful focus to an evening after a long day than to look at a sweet build like this.
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

She's looking good Pale, great details...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thanks fellas. I am enjoying the fact that I will have a American tank in the hobby room. All the German tanks have been trying to sneak a peak. :)

Have a good day!
Pale
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Well if you are going to build an American Tank then you just have to make the one Tank that took on and beat the best the German armed forces could put in the field and what a brilliant build this is turning out to be, encore my man. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Well, I am feeling like all the planets are in alignment tonight. Everything went just as planned for a change. I ordered a stock HL recoil, two of them in fact. Everything thing fit just like it was made for the Pershing. I cut the brass section in the back to the proper length and tapered it just a bit so it would engage with the recoil unit. Everything just kind of slid into place. The barrel is heavier than I would like. I am going to make a few changes in it's construction in the near future. But it works properly with the factory HL elevation servo. The recoil used, was designed for the Jagdpanther(3869) and Panther 'G'(3879). Whew......

Yesterday, I finished up the hydraulic assist on the turret. I ran pins into the support brackets to give them the strength they needed. They were not quite sturdy enough to handle it prior to the pinning.

I had to put it slap it together quickly for a moment of feeling accomplished. The German tanks are getting nervous. :thumbup:

Return to “Pershing”