Taigen panzer iv kit.

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Taigen panzer iv kit.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Von Mooflesaaa wrote:Thanks for the pic comparison. Hmmm I'll have to have a look see at how I can fix that part. Thank you for pointing it out. I'm really enjoying getting back into this build. Hopefully my zimmeret set will show up soon.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk
Not to get overly nerdy, you'll see from the pic that Taigen also give a regular spacing to the louvres (air vents) below the engine deck, where- in fact, they are irregular, as in the Tamiya upper hull. :D

Your pleasure is ours too... :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I did the rear slope on the engine deck of my PzIV 'Malta' and is was a big job for a not very noticeable improvement in over all look.
But thats just me.
I would rather see a well painted & great looking over all finish than a poorly presented model, but with a sloping deck !! :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AndyMichie
Recruit

Post by AndyMichie »

Hi all,
am glad i found this, finishing off a tiger 1 build, got upper hull, and changing turret from bb to ir, then its a case of sorting all electrics out properly.
have got the panzer 111 to sort out next, its the unpainted version, i could do with a kit manual as a reference but cant find one, just so i know where to put accessories etc
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Taigen and HL got several of the details and dimensions on the PzIV upper hull wrong, including the slope on the rear deck, the armored cover for the brake cooler, and the splash guards. I figure if you're going far enough to correct the tread plate, you may as well hit the rear deck.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I look at the revised Taigen Panzer 4 Turret which is as good as the Tamiya PZ4 Turret I am left wondering what was the reason for Taigens failure to sort out the PZ4s lack of any engine bay slope,
The redesign involved in dropping the Turret baggage box was not only cosmetic it involved a lot of work internally whereas removing a 3 to 5 mm fillet in the body to incorporate the engine bay slope would have been exactly that' Cosmetic, It is no good saying the difference would not be noticed, A lot of people do just as they still notice the wrongly positioned Tiger 1 Turret location or my constant observation of the excess Tiger 1 aerial stowage tube or the Heng Long and Taigen PZ 4s wrongly located front sprockets,
It really is as easy to get it right when drawing a new design as it is to get it wrong.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

For twenty years, after consulting with a friend who has an incredible memory for detail, I write a monthly review of model farm equipment for a US magazine, the Toy Farmer. The same sort of problems show up in farm models in part because the EU, UK, and US firms have to work with Chinese sub-contractors for everything from dies to boxes. Each time a product developer catches an error, there is a back-and-forth with the Chinese sub-contractor, development is slowed, even more errors can occur, and costs likely go up, especially if pre-production models are being flown back and forth. I imagine that problems become even more likely when the product developer is Chinese and/or has limited access to the prototype (itself subject to modifications over the years). The challenges are significant, and I am amazed and envious of the thorough (dare I say scholarly, as that's what it is) knowledge and stunning skill I see daily here on RCTW. Yet I have some understanding for the developers and manufacturers, too, who face challenges throughout the process from photos and drawings through mass-production through shipping and distribution.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You make a valid argument BUT we are talking of Tank failings since the dawn of Heng Long and Taigens entry into making r/c 1/16 armour,
The original Dies have long since worn out and been replaced as witness the aforementioned Taigen Panzer 4 Turret which has rectified just about every detail error that were found in the earlier pressing so they can fix the mistakes and they surely must know the faults if only because they copied Tamiya's own products which do not suffer the same faults.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Indeed, if the turret dies were redone, why not the hull, too? Do you know if the newer Taigen and HengLong are different from one-another and either is more accurate? (I only have the Taigen, and I should compare them to see if there are differences in the turrets.)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The hull on both the Heng Long and theTaigen PZ4 need the location of the front sprocket altering and the last roller on both still needs to be dropped by 3/5mm although a Metal hull for the Taigen PZ4 bought from Imex in Florida comes with the rear rollers already dropped,
The Body on both has been updated with more detail on the Taigen and the Heng Long Tools and fittings are on a seperate sprue as they are on all Heng Long Tanks which allows for the Tank body to be prepped and repainted before the tools and fittings or aftermarket tools and fittings are replaced unlike the Taigen whose tools and fittings are moulded onto the Tank body making prep and repaint harder.
Of course the engine deck has not been fixed on either PZ4 body.
I step forward 2 steps back :thumbdown:
Obtaining a new Heng Long Panzer 4 has been impossible for the last 18 months at least, click on any Heng Long site for a PZ4 and you will be shown a Taigen PZ4 :thumbdown:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you for the information. I have a few ( :{ ) Imex/Taigen Pzkw. IV all in the same spot. I will need to open them (again) to check for the specific differences you mention.

Return to “Panzer IV”