Lily's t34

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Lily's t34

Post by BREL »

Lily's tank looks nice,
the museum shot of the real thing are great too lots of details to model
BIGMIG
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by BIGMIG »

Great looking tank and I like the picture of it setting in the snow. ;D

BIGMIG  ;) ;)
stug 85
Corporal

Post by stug 85 »

does anyone know where i can get a t34 commanders hatch that opens i have tried tank zone but they dont seem to have any ???
oztruck
Corporal

Post by oztruck »

On my T34/85 WSN the old green one the commanders hatch and the vision ports all work from new. When I got it I replaced the electrics with HL stuff and while the body was off I noticed that I could open the hatch
HL Pershing, HL Bull Dog,HL powered T34/85 IR, HL Tiger 1, HL Pz III, Stug III IR, PzIV, King Tiger, WSN Tiger1 mid IR, T34/85 winter IR, HL Jagpanther IR
NigelDerEnglander
Lance Corporal

Post by NigelDerEnglander »

Hi Stug85,

You just have to be very careful with a knife and a very fine drill. I opened up the commanders hatch and the gunners hatch a few years ago and they are hinged (in fact I had to hinge the commanders hatch as I put a HL BB gun in - and HL electronics). Last year I also did the top engine hatch, and the rear circular engine hatch.
An Xmas/NY project has been to remove the large air grille cover (where the single top screw is) and build in a new 'L' shaped bay into which I hope to fit turnable air vents (once I find their dimensions!)

Thanks to the Tips n Tricks section I got some good ideas and have made long strip hinges out of K&S brass shim as the hinge for this cover was too small and 'far away' for my microdrills to reach.

Other WSN T-34 mods I have done are rotating periscopes.

Currently I need the aid of a 'tame female' (is there such a thing?) to get me some very tiny chain so I can put the pistol port plugs on chains. I'm afraid I am too scared/self-conscious to go into a girl's cheap jewellery shop to buy "the cheapest smallest chain you've got"!

Oh, I've also ball-raced all the T-34 wheels. I did try the metal gears but they were tight, off-centre, and stripped teeth. But I digress.....

Regards,

Nige
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

Nige What size ball races did you use in the wheels
NigelDerEnglander
Lance Corporal

Post by NigelDerEnglander »

Hi BREL,

Just taken a wheel apart to have a look (I glued the two halves together with evo-stik to make them easier to disassemble if required) and they are 5x11x4. Not sure if I got these from Technobots on a visit there with Tony (Tiger205) or one of two very good EBay dealers who I have used for bearings in the past.

The space in the wheel hub is a tad bigger than 11mm, but a tad smaller than 12mm, so I put in a ring of shim around each ballrace cut from a beer can. If I remember rightly I had two types of beer can and they each had different thicknesses so I cut a shim from both and used the one that gave the most snug fit without stressing the plastic. In fact I still have the very beer cans in my workshop area (a box-bedroom) for other shimming purposes.

Oh, I went to Bournemouth today and because I'm not known there I went into a Superdrug and looked at the cheap jewellery....For £1.99 I got a pair of earrings that had two tiny sizes of chain, so I am now spoilt for choice! In fact the smaller one may even be too small! Being a tight-wad I may be able to disassemble one of them, take out the required length of chain, put it back together and give them to some female as a gift at a later date! Bonus!

:)

Nige

Return to “Show Off”