Built my new smoke unit

Smoke creating devices!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Built my new smoke unit

Post by Saxondog »

Use the original H/L circuit board for proportional smoke, The fan has to be controled,but also the other issue is heat,even at idle the air has to move or it will over heat. The supersmokers have a circuit for allowing the fan even just sitting still to run and move air,also what you do not see in the pictures of those units is a baffle that creates resistance to the flow of air,so the smoke puff at idle.

You have done well ,no doubt. Tankbear I would be interested in the other forum you reference,and the material list. Also Phil @RC TANK WARS has contacted me,we are trying to work out the manufacture of the smokers. se7en If I may help you to improve you design just tell me how,but the first step has to be a proportional circuit,other wise it will be a smoker we worked on to simulate a kill shot,that smoker would activate in I/R Battle and engulf the tank in smoke.

Well done se7en, you have the basic design but do be careful. Their is an older post of a tank on fire.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Se7eN
Private

Post by Se7eN »

Thanks you for the kind words @Saxondog I have been very busy today and focused all my time on getting a few things done.
There are several modification I have made to the the tank.

Laser targeting mounting in the mantel
Cut the battery bay out for more space
Decreased the fan aperture size
Added a ''tank charging'' port at the back with a green led in-line to indicate charge in progress. (3 way switch was used, power to tank, off,charger power to tank battery)
Better speaker added with a custom made tube surround :thumbup:
Added smoker on/off switch to back of tank.

and some other stuff I can't remember lol

My smoker is mealy a prototype, but I have learnt a lot over the past few days. I will make another smoker that's new and improved. But first I want to get the proportional system working as that's what I'm really interested in.

-x se7en x-
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The below post was being written as you were answering my earlier post,well done on the mods,and I will help you in any way on your build :thumbup:

se7en Another added feature was aluminium foil under the Kevlar matt,this slowed the transfer of heat by projecting that heat back into the matt,the exit port you have are to small,the exit cap idea with the ports added may seem similar, but the cap had a section that would catch the air flow causing it to cycle into the cap,then exit the tubing port

The air has to find an exit or it will juct be engulfed in it's own pressure,smoke every where. Even my Jagdpanther does have a problem at the hi speed setting with smoke overflow into my hull,so Dan changed the design in later versions to compensate.

My reason for mounting the smoker directly under the hatch door was to vent the hull as well.

I am trying to work this out to help you guys,but the information I have was given to me in confidence,and as soon as possible I will post the information.

se7en, Dan tested many.many type or resistors,and mattes for fluid absorption. Their are many reasons for KEVLAR and a ceramic type element. Perhaps maplins may have Ceramic wire wound resistors?
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Se7en,

Heres the link to other forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58065 ... ey_/tm.htm

If you scrol down to post #36 there is a couple of pictures with diagram and part numbers you can print.

If you've a few hours the whole thread is worth a read. 8|

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Se7eN
Private

Post by Se7eN »

@SaxonDog @Tankbear,

I've read a tutorial regarding the proportional circuit and a voltage regulator (unit type 7805) was used.I've looked on ebay for said regulator and this is the closest to a match.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-L7805CV-5-v ... 415bfefacd
Is this the little fellow?

Also I grabbed 50 1N4007 1A/1000Volt Rectifier Diodes from ebay too :thumbup:
I'm I right in thinking that the smoker I'm building is only 'Semi-proportional' ? As only the fan is been controlled. Would it be possible to repeat the procedure using a second regulator and get that to control the the heating element? :think:

-x se7en x-
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Yes only changing fan speed. You may find that trying to do same to the heater elememt will lower the smoke output.

You can experiment to see if it works.

ebay will most likely become your friend for all the bits you need, the stuff i've bought from there the list never ends.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Se7eN
Private

Post by Se7eN »

Here is a short Youtube video of my smoker in action. Please excuse the poor cable management, I have yet to do this. I just wanted to get it up and running so you all could see.

-x se7en x-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2J5BLiaeJ0

:thumbup:
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Well done on your build it turned out well.
One thing i have to ask though. Is why poeple who talk about or mod or build smokers they don't place it here.... http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... .php?f=184

As for others to read. As after a while it gets pushed down with other threads. Then all you get is people opening up new thread after new threads asking the same thing over and over ( my smoker don't work. Or this and that). All they need to do it look in the right section. Which helps them,and helps us so we don't have to keep making the same type of thread up 50 times.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Se7eN
Private

Post by Se7eN »

Hey guys,

I'm now working on getting a proportional smoke unit working. I have an old RX18 board for me too practice my soldering skills on before I do the real thing.
I could have started doing it today, but my regulators haven't turned up in the post yet :thumbdown:
Could somebody that knows this system look over my connections and solder joints to see if there ok?

-x se7en x-
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hard to tell from picture. If you put solder on both bits first it is easier for them to join.

When I did mine I didn't solder to the RX18 but put in the motor leads. Might be easier unless your confident with soldering.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “Smokers”