Marine Steam

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Marine Steam

Post by Saxondog »

Man this is to cool, XRAD. The engine is just perfect and so well detailed, beautiful use of brass and aluminium. The hull could be lined with cork gasket material as an insulator. Keep the pictures coming.Sax
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by xrad »

Some more detail:
Attachments
hand operated boiler pump with globe valve..
hand operated boiler pump with globe valve..
Primary exhaust stack from boiler had to be re-directed to keep scale appearance...it will empty up into obove metal stack.
Primary exhaust stack from boiler had to be re-directed to keep scale appearance...it will empty up into obove metal stack.
Thin wall smoke stack (plumbers U trap from Home good store) with brazed brass rings..
Thin wall smoke stack (plumbers U trap from Home good store) with brazed brass rings..
extra water tank I brazed with silver wire and MAPP torch
extra water tank I brazed with silver wire and MAPP torch
Hull nearly complete: a few more fiberglass layers and Bondo to fill some low spots..have to frame up the inside...  scribe cut line with indelible marker then trimmed with dremmel small rotary saw
Hull nearly complete: a few more fiberglass layers and Bondo to fill some low spots..have to frame up the inside... scribe cut line with indelible marker then trimmed with dremmel small rotary saw
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

XRAD this fab stuff and an excellent bit of modelmaking. I love looking at that brass boiler and steam engine. Fabulous well done.
xrad

Post by xrad »

general layout complete:

Yes, I made the bucket. rolled metal edge and silver brazed leakproof. some of the piping is just for position and not fitted.
Attachments
IMG_5228.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

steam tug coming along ...but found a new steam subject in a good deal I could not refuse:

scale is 1/16 so I could use it with the tanks...
Attachments
4-8-4 norther type locomotive
4-8-4 norther type locomotive
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Does the outside walchertz valve gear work, or is it cosmetic and driven by an inside twin cylinder arrangement? What is it made of? I like these large pacifics. I've not made one for a while. The last big one I made was a 3.5 inch gauge live steam re-built LMS Patriot Sir Frank Ree. I have got a photo of it somewhere.
xrad

Post by xrad »

wow, love to see your pics!

this is a fully functional unit with steam injector and axle water pump. outside cylinders are real and reversible working links. weighs about 140lbs and 48 inches long 10 inches tall , ~ 8in wide

unfortunately small boiler leak, but copper so likely fixable...

plan is careful take apart, clean and see where I am....then boiler reapir and pressure test
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The only practical use for that steam Locomotive would be to pull a set of Tigers,Panthers on rail. That would be very unique xrad,
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

When I find the picture I'll add it in. Yes you could have it as one of those German armoured trains. I guess the tender is missing?
xrad

Post by xrad »

guess I will have to make some ssym cars......

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”