Soldering iron Zimmerit

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Soldering iron Zimmerit

Post by [ICE]monkey »

that looks realy good, like tony said a lot of hard work but it looks spot on
regards,ice
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

something i forgot to ask crispy, what thickness of plasticard are you using?,

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

It looks like its just under half a milimeter thick according to my ruler. Dont remember what it said when i bought it as I got a big batch of palasticard some time ago. Its about the same thickness as good quality cartridge paper you'd find in art shops for painting water colours.

Here's where i buy my plastic card from:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/station-road-baseboards

Just only have one sponson side to go now and the zimmerit will be finished. I've just tried painting a bit of the rear plate with a hand brush to see how it looks with a proper matt finish and Im very happy with how its looking. Hopefully I'll get a few hours at the weekend to make a start on the super structure. Once thats under way I'll start a proper Sturmtiger build thread in the Heng Long section.

Thanks for the comments and your opinions chaps, it's always nice to get someone else's point of viem before embarking on something like this.

Cheers
Nic
Last edited by Crispy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

thanks for that nic, i know the stuff you mean, if i have one to many over x-mas, i may give it a go, this way of doing zimmerit, like i said before is as good as it gets, it just looks so real, i cant wait to see your tank finnished, its going to look the dogs danglies

Tony 8)

Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Quick update. All the zimmerits done and i tested the electronics. I've just test fitted the superstructure I cut out of cardboard. I was so pleased with how it looks I had to post some pics ;D

Here's how it looked after i cut the top deck and fitted the electrics ready for the super structure yesterday - Theres no going back now !  :-[ I did this the lazy way with my soldering iron (lovely smell) and avoided all the mess a cutting disc in my Dremel would've caused.

Then measured, cut out and fitted the armour today.

Its a lot easier to do this with some waste cardboard and then make any changes. Im really happy with it, almost a perfect fit first time. I've decided to shorten the superstructure length front-back by 6mms so the front armour will sit on the old tiger front plate better but thats all it needs. Now where did I put all that plasticard  ::)
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

its looking good nic, ive got some 1/2mm plasticard, soldering iron, and plenty of beer, so i will give youre zimmerit tecnique a go.
keep the photos coming, great job

Tony 8)

FireflyKeith
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by FireflyKeith »

Very impressed with the zimmerit, i was unsure at first what it would look like on a big area but it looks great 8)
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Thanks fella's. The zimmerit actually works too! I held the cardboard superstructure together and stuck it to the tank hull with cellotape... its held fine to everywhere except the zimmerit areas :o 
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

thats good news nic, atleast youre be protected from magnetic mines and satchel charges ;) ;)

Tony 8)

Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

Very nice little brother, good to see you have a proper hobby now!  Ill show you the metal tracks on xmas day, they'll make you drool!
Dorking First Light Foot and Mouth (Mechanised)

Return to “Tips and Tricks”