Smoke oil generator??

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Smoke oil generator??

Post by Meter rat »

GreyAce wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:29 pm When you say it evaporates over time how long do you leave it before you add some more of the oil? Just a rough figure?.
This is going to be weird to explain. I may go a week, or a few months between driving them. If they smoke when I switch them on I carry on running them. If I does not smoke, then I add some oil. Sometimes they will not smoke after a week, and sometimes they will smoke after a month. It is something you kind of just have to learn. Same with the cannon smoke. That will last a lot longer as it is not used continuously, but the heating units are better than the heater in the exhaust smokers.
Sorry I can’t be more specific..
Ian
GreyAce
Private

Post by GreyAce »

Meter rat wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:08 pm
GreyAce wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:29 pm When you say it evaporates over time how long do you leave it before you add some more of the oil? Just a rough figure?.
This is going to be weird to explain. I may go a week, or a few months between driving them. If they smoke when I switch them on I carry on running them. If I does not smoke, then I add some oil. Sometimes they will not smoke after a week, and sometimes they will smoke after a month. It is something you kind of just have to learn. Same with the cannon smoke. That will last a lot longer as it is not used continuously, but the heating units are better than the heater in the exhaust smokers.
Sorry I can’t be more specific..
Ian
No worries mate you make kinda sense ie if you run the tank after a week if it don't smoke you add some oil or sometimes it will smoke anyways and it may smoke after a month still,I guess that's what you mean but either way I appreciate your thoughts,I guess it's a see how it goes sort of thing but I figure from the advice on here if it don't smoke by 40 seconds turn it off cos it could burn out the smoker thing,I am trying to learn all about it what with bein a complete novice to this.
From Mud,Through Blood,To the Green fields beyond.

Royal Tank Regiment 🇬🇧
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Meter rat »

You understand very well from my dyslexic ramblings. The worst you will do is burn out your smoke unit. Every so often take the smoke unit apart. Four screws, and move the wick about, and ensure it is in contact with the element. We were all novices once and have all had to learn. Some of us (me) are a lot slower than others.
GreyAce
Private

Post by GreyAce »

Meter rat wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:17 pm You understand very well from my dyslexic ramblings. The worst you will do is burn out your smoke unit. Every so often take the smoke unit apart. Four screws, and move the wick about, and ensure it is in contact with the element. We were all novices once and have all had to learn. Some of us (me) are a lot slower than others.
Next week I've had my tank a month,next week is it worth adding one drop of oil into each exhaust port into the smoke unit? I have used it a little bit.

Royal Tank Regiment 🇬🇧
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ecam »

If you over fill the worst that will happen is no or not much smoke. If too low/empty you risk burning out the heating element.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

One drop won't hurt. And you probably need not add to both exhaust ports, for they both lead to one unit.

I also have an earnest recommendation. If you have not already done so, take a camera of some kind and open up the hull of your Leopard, taking photos as you go step by step. I recall years ago opening the first tank I bought. I was doggone concerned that I might ruin it. I proceeded carefully because at the time there was nothing online to show me what I was getting into. But each step of the way I learned about how the whole thing works, building my confidence, too. I have never regretted that first move, for it started me on the most interesting aspect of the hobby and gave me the ability to fix the inevitable minor problems.

Here are three YouTube videos showing how to open various HengLong tanks. None is exactly the same as the Leopard we both have, but all the HengLong (and Taigen/Torro, or Coolbank, or TongDe) tanks are similarly constructed, to once you have the general idea, go for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qG_paXYeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW29I4Aenl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zweB6Bgl990
GreyAce
Private

Post by GreyAce »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:52 pm One drop won't hurt. And you probably need not add to both exhaust ports, for they both lead to one unit.

I also have an earnest recommendation. If you have not already done so, take a camera of some kind and open up the hull of your Leopard, taking photos as you go step by step. I recall years ago opening the first tank I bought. I was doggone concerned that I might ruin it. I proceeded carefully because at the time there was nothing online to show me what I was getting into. But each step of the way I learned about how the whole thing works, building my confidence, too. I have never regretted that first move, for it started me on the most interesting aspect of the hobby and gave me the ability to fix the inevitable minor problems.

Here are three YouTube videos showing how to open various HengLong tanks. None is exactly the same as the Leopard we both have, but all the HengLong (and Taigen/Torro, or Coolbank, or TongDe) tanks are similarly constructed, to once you have the general idea, go for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qG_paXYeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW29I4Aenl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zweB6Bgl990
Ok I will add one drop next week then so cheers for the advice and in regards to taking my tank apart,well I know the screws are on the top and where there located but I will be honest with you it works perfectly so to be fair as the saying goes if it ain't broken don't fix it so for now I will leave it alone but when something is up I'm definitely gona remember what you said with the pics,good idea mate.

Royal Tank Regiment 🇬🇧
GreyAce
Private

Post by GreyAce »

How do you guys add smoke oil to the generator?

I tried the thing they give you in the box that goes down the pipe at the back of the tank but it doesn't come out unless I blew it in? Can I do that?

I was also thinking if I got a little syringe and put a drop in the pipe thing and use the syringe to gently blow it in the generator?,force it threw the pipe,Would that be ok? other than that take the tank apart which I'd rather not do yet,well not just for smoke.

Royal Tank Regiment 🇬🇧
Pavel
Lance Corporal

Post by Pavel »

I installed a heating element from an electronic cigarette, a fan from a laptop, and placed everything in a box...
For the tank there is an optional set of Heng Long....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlfKCIrSxF0&t=19s
Attachments
1629737064273.jpg
1629737064273.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 59 times
GreyAce
Private

Post by GreyAce »

Pavel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:57 pm I installed a heating element from an electronic cigarette, a fan from a laptop, and placed everything in a box...
For the tank there is an optional set of Heng Long....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlfKCIrSxF0&t=19s
That's really awesome mate,soo cool,I had a idea of how to put oil into the generator,use a syringe that refills printers,they have a thin steel stem that would fit in the supplied tube thing in the box and use the syringe to blow it threw? In theory that should work?

Royal Tank Regiment 🇬🇧

Return to “General Questions”