Arnheim - one year after the real fighting

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
oz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Arnheim - one year after the real fighting

Post by oz »

my grandad jumped into Arnhem and was one of the men on the bridge, it was down to him telling me about the battle that i joined the para reg' to this day i still have the smock and helmet he wore when he jumped into Arnhem, think I'm gonna have this book too................oz
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Oz

Did you ever get the chance to jump at the Arnhem DZ, Ginkel Heath on the  yearly annual anniversary of the battle. Your grandfathers jump smock and helmet must be revered family mementos to have of such a battle. That book is an excellent read. A lot of the German units until then had only fought on the eastern front where there was no mercy given between both sides. They said that the fight against the British airborne was very, very, tough but fair in comparison to the eastern front and some of them were surprised by this.
Last edited by STEINER on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
oz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by oz »

no mate i never got the chance to do that jump although i did go to Arnhem a few times with my grandad for some of the remembrance services  which were emotional to say the least, a well known sculptor was commissioned to sculpt and paint a figure of an Arnhem para and wanted some good reference material to work from so i let him borrow the smock when he had finished with it he didn't want to give it back but he grudgingly did LOL!!.

i had many talks with my grandad about the battle and one thing i do remember him saying was not one of them at any-time thought about or mentioned surrender, very brave men indeed...............oz

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”