3D - printed Merkava tank

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 3D - printed Merkava tank

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

This may seem off topic and even waggish, Conor, but is that iced tea I see in the glass by the blood red placemats? :P If that is iced tea (I have been addicted to the stuff since the 1960s) I have a word of caution: after a few uses, paint brush cleaners turn a perfect iced tea color. Pay careful attention from which glass you sip; it's a nasty surprise. 8O
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:This may seem off topic and even waggish, Conor, but is that iced tea I see in the glass by the blood red placemats? :P If that is iced tea (I have been addicted to the stuff since the 1960s) I have a word of caution: after a few uses, paint brush cleaners turn a perfect iced tea color. Pay careful attention from which glass you sip; it's a nasty surprise. 8O
Of course it is iced tea. Tea is a versatile drink. I'll bear this in mind though we dispose brushes in this household instead of cleaning them after a nasty turpentine self-combustion some years back.

I come bearing more pictures. Here's the wheels. Printed them in PLA for now, because I feel the extra hardness vs PETG will help. Plus, if they do wilt spectacularely in sunlight they are fairly easy to replace and I can print a TPU/PETG replacement (so with an actual rubber tyre)

PETG has now arrived and I'm calibrating the printer for the next big prints.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Project has hit a tiny snag - I can't get PETG to stick to my printer's blasted build surface. Spent the best part of five hours trying to calibrate the bloody device, then caved and ordered a PEI build sheet, so everything else will have to wait till that's here.

Also ordered a bunch of Heng Long electronics. I originally wanted to go with something more sophisticated but many dollars. If the Merkava works out I have another one I want to print, and I may migrate electroncis around.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Haven't tried PETG yet. Since ABS works pretty well on my printer I'm going down the ASA route to print my tank parts with. Bed adhesion is something my printer has never had an issue with.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

tankme wrote:Haven't tried PETG yet. Since ABS works pretty well on my printer I'm going down the ASA route to print my tank parts with. Bed adhesion is something my printer has never had an issue with.
Do you print with an enclosure?

I'm re-starting printing rn, Printing removable parts (e.g. sprockets, Idler and Tracks) in PLA. Might actually benefit fromt he materials' hardness, and if it liquifies in the sun I can always, once the PETG machine is running, print something more solid.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Yes, my printer has an enclosure. Bought it like two weeks ago...Qidi iMates.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

tankme wrote:Yes, my printer has an enclosure. Bought it like two weeks ago...Qidi iMates.
Ah, nice. Mine doesn't, and it sits in the living room, so no ABS for me.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Got the original bed to print PETG

one of the panels half-detatched, and I managed to damage another while trial fitting so two will have to be re-printed. Need a set of small files to optimize the fit then glue them together.

Getting a PEI bed now. Printers are stupid.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

a glue stick might help with sticking to the print bed something like prit stick
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

https://youtu.be/oX4up29xUuw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “3D Printing”