First tank..Tiger 1

jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: First tank..Tiger 1

Post by jackalope »

Did you clock the copula? If not you may want to. Either way looks good so far!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:Did you clock the copula? If not you may want to. Either way looks good so far!
:haha: :haha: :haha: You've caught the disease Jack.... detailsitis :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Welds look great Tricky :thumbup: ....You need to get some photos up of the areas you are questioning... that way we can give you better input.. and you can decide whether to reject it or not :haha: :haha: :haha:

Once again Looking good :thumbup:

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Don't think I'll go to far with details just the basics for now, I want to see if I can achieve the desired paint finish, so pointless going all out on the minute details if the end result doesn't please because of the paint ;) did consider zimmerit, but rejected that for the same reason.
So I don't think I will be bothering with the road wheel detail on this one, but I will be trying to sort the alignment of the wheels and suspension, I will also do a bit of chassis bracing/strengthening, and sort the turret of course.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Pictures Tricky :haha: :haha: ...the more the better :D

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Quick update, removed the std on/off switch and fitted a two way to the rear and charging socket to avoid removing the battery, added some chassis bracing, on the rear as well but no pic yet,
Modded the turret so there is no play, and also cut the gear so that turret will turn 360deg,

Oh yes! and added an internal RC Ariel.

Next step is the suspension and road wheels etc and some paint on the chassis/wheels.

Not quite sure what to do about the lights, keep them, junk them, move them, I see they are supposed to have shrouds on them so it would involve making some, and should I remove any defunct light mounts?

billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

You have options. You can buy the shrouds, they're only a few £.

They're detachable on the real thing and in plenty of photos they're simply not in place because they interrupt the gun barrel when it's depressed and traversing. There is also a high chance of them getting completely blown off in combat - most Soviet tanks used HE rounds rather than AP and of cause incoming artillery and bombs would damage anything mounted on the outside. Slightly related - one of the main crew complaints with the Ferdinand was all the tools boxes and fittings mounted near the front of the tank were blown off by incoming artillery.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Looking Good Tricky... that brace... do you think it is really necessary? I see a lot of modellers do it... but personally I've never had a problem with the flexing of the Hull...of course... I use the stock mounting poles ...and don't change to magnetic

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Well the brace is probably a little OTT given the use, but that area was the most flexy...and ten minuets with a bit of aluminum angle is not a problem so on it went, think I'll loose the lights too.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:Well the brace is probably a little OTT given the use, but that area was the most flexy...and ten minuets with a bit of aluminum angle is not a problem so on it went, think I'll loose the lights too.
To me the HL lights are fine...the covers are easy enough to make...tried a theory of mine on my PanzerIV and they came out great...so I used the same technique on my L70 build...once painted you can't tell if they are metal or not...not much difference in the casting

ALPHA

Return to “Tiger I”