HL King Tiger Build So Far (March 23 2014)

Marc780
Corporal

March's King tiger build part 5-prep for rx18 upgrade, more

Post by Marc780 »

This project is some what dead in the water at the moment while I am waiting for parts, lots of parts....The tk01 board quit functioning after just an hours use. It would go forward and back but will not turn. After some questions so kindly answered here I decided to order a new board, or two, and after some thought also decided to upgrade to the rx18 board as the next step.

My order list of parts look like a house wife's on grocery day I have parts coming from 4 different countries...amazingly, to me the first part to arrive (receiver board for rx18) was all the way from UK and arrived in just 4 days! I thought the distance factor alone would cause things to arrive slowly but this was not so-it must have come by air (Unlike some vendors from elsewhere (of course I mean china) I never have any qualms about dealing with British companies and vendors as service is generally timely, efficient, and honest).

The tank project is going at glacial speed not just because of parts....Unfortunately my patience and energy is limited by disk disease so i am forced to do things in dribs and drabs, things go horribly slowly when I can only work a half hour at a time before being forced to take a break. That and the parts bottleneck means I'm not accomplishing near as much as I want to do as fast as i would like on this tank!

My last small project is from last night when some of the small parts arrived. SO THIS post may not be as interesting as I'd like either. But if my expensive mistakes help someone else to avoid them and not to waste time and money perhaps it's worth while...,l received the motor connector wires for the rx18 and soldered on a 5 inch extension to all four wires. I have plans to relocate the rx18 to the back, under the engine grills so I needed more wire to work with. Plan is to splice on solderless connectors in case this board blows out as well.

Of course soldering is superior in almost every way stronger neater, less bulky and less ugly so I try to keep the connectors to a minimum but sometimes they are simply more practical especially when all the problems are not worked out yet...

Also in the picture is the receiver board for the rx18-which arrived before the rx18 itself and no real idea of how I will even hook it up yet!

Other parts on the way:
Transmitter for the the rx18 unit since my old one won't work (only $10 from eBay UK THE shipping more then the parts)
-crystals for same
-2 X RX18 Boards (aliexpress)
-2xtk01 boards (old style, I have a cheap non SS Tiger 1 on the way and I'm guessing they won't go to waste)
(1 from eBay and one from aliexpress-they have a surprising number of HL parts if you know where to look, but their site search system is so buggy often just doesn't show them unless you search from multiple search engines!)
-2 X rx18 wiring sets (ebay I got two because one didn't have the 8 to 8 pin wire and because I knew I'd need spares for the inevitable mistakes)
I can't do anything until all the parts arrive I'm using the downtime to work on the drivetrain..

Here's an image taken the same day the board burned up. Driving on grass perhaps that's what killed the board?)

I was curious how the camo pattern would look against vegetation, clearly the sand pattern was meant for the brown steppes of Russia and perhaps explains why they went to a darker Dunkel gelb base late in the war during the fighting in the forests of Poland and Germany itself...

An update there's not enough for another post. Here's another picture

I sent away for a stencil set to do the turret numbers. The numbers are several sizes and cost $7 from amazon...I received the steel gearboxes from Mato too. Unfortunately went to install and they wouldn't fit! I miked the motors and the new ones are 2 or 3 mm bigger diameter. I thought fine I have mabuchi motors on the way also I'll just wait... Those motors turned out to be completely wrong not even close-they were huge! That's what I get from not ordering from an r/c house....will probably swap the stock motors into the steel gearboxes if they'll even fit. Lessons learned measure twice cut once....
Last edited by Marc780 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: March's King tiger build part 5-prep for rx18 upgrade, m

Post by ALPHA »

:haha: :haha: :haha: Hey there mark... I think you copied the wrong url... you have to right click on the photo and paste that here ...not the url of the page..if your photobucket library is locked no one can see your photos :D

Low battery power is your worse enemy... it's what causes heat.. best thing to do is to get a stronger battery..I recall you saying you were in the UK... the best way to have gone is to have bought the whole transmitter board rx set... they usually come with all the hookups switches pretty much everything you need... cost about 60 dollars US

This is from a company Mato Mart.... they are also known as RC dynasty on Ebay.... I don't really Recommend them to UK people.. as some there had problems with them... you can find them on Ebay UK...which is probably the best way if you want to take a chance with them...but Forgebear and Welsh would have been your best option if you wanted your parts quickly

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

Thanks Alpha...actually i"m in California not UK. I fixed the photo issue, that's what i get for trying to use photobucket from my smart phone!
Re. the boars and all the parts, as it happened i started just by wanting to buy a replacement TK01 board, then posted here about the issue, someone suggested to upgrade to the 18 board since they are more robust, which i decided was a good idea. And things just kind of took off since i did not really know what to buy...I get impatient and sometimes actually under-think what is needed, failing to plan ahead, not realizing you need the new transmitter, the new wires, the receiver board, all those things to make it work...and the kit you suggest, is exactly what i should have started with. and if i cant make it work with the hodge-podge of parts i'm waiting on my very well ultimately wind up buying the above...I'm suffering a steep (and expensive") learning curve here but hopefully I'll get it right soon!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:Thanks Alpha...actually i"m in California not UK. I fixed the photo issue, that's what i get for trying to use photobucket from my smart phone!
Re. the boars and all the parts, as it happened i started just by wanting to buy a replacement TK01 board, then posted here about the issue, someone suggested to upgrade to the 18 board since they are more robust, which i decided was a good idea. And things just kind of took off since i did not really know what to buy...I get impatient and sometimes actually under-think what is needed, failing to plan ahead, not realizing you need the new transmitter, the new wires, the receiver board, all those things to make it work...and the kit you suggest, is exactly what i should have started with. and if i cant make it work with the hodge-podge of parts i'm waiting on my very well ultimately wind up buying the above...I'm suffering a steep (and expensive") learning curve here but hopefully I'll get it right soon!
Hi Marc ... Sorry about that missed identity .. seems there are a lot of new "Marks" on the board at the same time lol... the biggest problem ordering control parts ala carte so to say will probably be your Hook up wires... the set I posted...though meant for IR ... has everything you need even the crystals...sells for about 60 dollars with ship on the continent ...Mato is a good company for the US...and you would have probably got it in less than a week... So it is something you might still want to consider...
It is true about the lesson learned... we all have gone through it ...I found out it's sometimes better to just pay the few extra dollars to get the deluxe model...mostly because if you piece meal it out... it would cost you a lot more... You are fortunate... because being on the mainland you get better deals... I've seen the high end Heng longs offered for 175 and down on Ebay... but many of those sellers don't service Hawaii and Alaska ...the deals are there for you all though..the one nice thing about models from Matomart is that they are all supplied with metal gearboxes ... and 2000 mah batteries ...but as I said there are many others that offer the premium models that have that and metal tracks gears sprockets and idlers..for super prices..

So if you do get another tank..it's really something to think about..as the low end models... though really inexpensive there... plus the cost of upgrades... should be considered after you look at what vendors offer with the premium set ups..you will probably find as I did... it just better to get the premium models

It is truly an adventure...Good luck with this one..and your future expeditions :thumbup:

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

of course you're right, the end result is i'm absolutely being penny wise/pound foolish...I've already spent several hundred dollars alone on paint, miscellaneous hardware like tubing, wiring and the like, a lot of parts that just didn't work out how i thought they would and never returned for refund, or mangled etc. plus spare parts i'll probably never need and so on...I'm doing it the hard way that's for sure.
Part of the fun of course is re-engineering i just didn't think i'd be putting quite so much money in as I have...I should really just get one of the steel body model tanks, for what i've blown on the plastic money pit so far i could have bought one fully equipped i think! But I don't regret a penny of it and its been mostly lots of good fun and a rewarding hobby. Those times that always seem to occur when things get frustrating and nothing seems to work, just indicate its time to back off for a while and come at in a different way...my modeling background goes back 40 years, PT boats, hundreds of static tanks, and speaking of money pits for a while i was into model aircraft. And had at one point an R/c Beaver for a trainer plane and a Stuka too. The Stuka, a $200 kit, disappeared before i even got it assembled when my ex-girfriend's goofy 17 year old daughter left our garage door open when no one was home- and as for the beaver, I prettied it up so much with film covering and reinforced landing gear etc. it was too heavy to fly, the first flight and promptly crashed into little pieces...argg. One good thing I like about R/c tanks is however much you have in them, that doesn't happen often!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:of course you're right, the end result is i'm absolutely being penny wise/pound foolish...I've already spent several hundred dollars alone on paint, miscellaneous hardware like tubing, wiring and the like, a lot of parts that just didn't work out how i thought they would and never returned for refund, or mangled etc. plus spare parts i'll probably never need and so on...I'm doing it the hard way that's for sure.
Part of the fun of course is re-engineering i just didn't think i'd be putting quite so much money in as I have...I should really just get one of the steel body model tanks, for what i've blown on the plastic money pit so far i could have bought one fully equipped i think! But I don't regret a penny of it and its been mostly lots of good fun and a rewarding hobby. Those times that always seem to occur when things get frustrating and nothing seems to work, just indicate its time to back off for a while and come at in a different way...my modeling background goes back 40 years, PT boats, hundreds of static tanks, and speaking of money pits for a while i was into model aircraft. And had at one point an R/c Beaver for a trainer plane and a Stuka too. The Stuka, a $200 kit, disappeared before i even got it assembled when my ex-girfriend's goofy 17 year old daughter left our garage door open when no one was home- and as for the beaver, I prettied it up so much with film covering and reinforced landing gear etc. it was too heavy to fly, the first flight and promptly crashed into little pieces...argg. One good thing I like about R/c tanks is however much you have in them, that doesn't happen often!
:D You sound pretty well seasoned Marc...I would say our backgrounds are very similar....I kicked myself a few times when I found this hobby... mostly because one of the first thoughts was "Where was this...all my life " It was soooo much fun as I could turn and spin and stop on a dime...and run over terrain that would void the warranty many times over...the best thing about RC tanking.. was I had time to "blink" :haha: ...lost a few planes as well as boats due to blinks :lolno:
One of the RC haunts here scoffed at me when I told them I took up RC tankery... I scoffed back...saying "hey!... I could fall asleep .. and my tank would rest right beside me like a well trained dog" Tell me you could do that with an airplane or car :haha:

I have to say...the money I've invested in Tankery ... though at times were non sensical ...but all in all... some spares have come in handy... and with help from fellow modellers like phil painlesswolf..sassgrunt... fynsdad..dgsselkirk ...scalawag .. cannedheat..tomhuggle to mention a few have just added to the great adventure I've undertaken... I only hope you find it as fulfilling as I have since I've been on this board :thumbup:

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Marc780 HL King Tiger Build Part 6 - Torched RX01 Board

Post by Marc780 »

Well i admit i thought twice about posting this because nobody likes discussing their mistakes...but hopefully this will help someone sometime! I was warned by others on this site not to bother replacing a broken RX01 unit and to convert to the RX18 instead, but i didn't listen...and paid (literally) for my perfidy with a torched board today.

The new unit (from Aliexpress) cost about $15 and arrived today. So coincidentally, did the new RX18 upgrade board but as i am still waiting for crystals and the transmitter for it-i decided to give it a try with the replacement RX01 board to get the tank working again at least temporarily. It didn't work out well..

The RX01 board comes without wiring for the motors...you have to solder it yourself. It comes as shown in the picture, the 4 spots shown by the red lines are where you have to touch the soldering iron and quickly attach your wire. You get one repeat ONe try soldering these wires, this board does not like heat and will malfunction if overheated by too much soldering... I soldered the wires and tested them and behold, the tracks turned again! I tried each side with the transmitter one at a time, ..and it worked. Then i decided the wires from the board are too short i need to resolder longer ones...WRONG. While soldering the final connection I saw a small flash and that was IT for this board...i think i overheated the board or the mosfets and blew one out. Left motor still worked ok, but NOw the right motor only worked in reverse no matter what i tried to undo the damage...and so that was that.

Lesson learned, you get one shot and only one if you try soldering this board. Yes it can be done and even the solder to do it is already in place on the board. AND you don't need (and whatever you do DO NOT TRY TO USE) any additional solder. If you need to do this plan carefully first. Cut both ends of the wire to the final length and be sure to strip BOTH ends first so there will be no pulling on the soldered connections on the circuit board. If you have the old one to look at, notice how short the stripped wiring is, that is already soldered on the old board...strip your new wire to be soldered the same length, excess wire length is a bad thing here. You do not want to accidentally solder onto any additional solder spots and this board is literally covered with them...use care and add the wire only to the spots shown with no crossing over to any other solder dots-and it should all work. If i ever do it again for some reason :{ I will solder ONe wire at a time and let the board cool for several minutes in between wires.

And if in doubt about the condition of the old wires do not even think of reusing them, just use new wires...

After anger/dismay at this debacle i just accepted the fact of my tank being dead for a another week or so and proceeded to ready the wiring for the new RX18. I crimped solderless connectors to the motor wires and filled them with JB weld to ensure no pulling loose, hopefully.

Ideally of course, you'd want to solder on the connection instead of an unreliable crimp done with the tool, and I did try to do that first. But the plastic covers over the connectors were just molded on too tight and wouldn't budge without using so much force causing mangling of the connector. In future i will just cut off the plastic insulator however i can, solder and just insulate everything with shrink tubing.

If and when something gives out - this RX18 unit, the motors, a connection- it will be the simplest possible component swap allowing reuse of as many parts as possible with the least amount of work; at least that is the goal.

Also ordered a 25 mm 5 volt fan from amazon for mounting on the box for cooling the RX18. the biggest fan you can use that will fit right is probably 30 mm. I will dremel the hole(s) in the case and glue the fan when it gets here. I read quite a bit about doing this from people that had already added a fan to the RX18 before ordering the parts...Toroshop.DE sells a purpose built box with a fan added for about $20 US and they even sell the whole thing as a unit, rx18 plus cooler for $35 euro ($48 US) but to the states the shipping is ghastly.

This is the toro box complete with fan and RX18. Many people just make their own and for that i'm guessing a dremel is a must...that or just drill a lot of very big holes in the top of the case- leaving enough plastic to glue the fan- if no dremel is available.

I'll add the fan after dremel the box and glue the fan in place permanently. That way if the fan outlives the circuit board as i suspect will happen, i can just swap in a new board into the old case. and not have to bother with adding fans and cutting holes again for a while.

What's more i have the $50 (SHIPPED) HL Tiger 1 i discussed in an earlier post, on the way and due for delivery any week now...I will be sure to post pics when it gets here! I'd naturally like to have the King tiger up and running before the Tiger 1 arrives since anybody knows what will happen to the old tank when the brand new one gets here to tinker with... and who knows how many dollars will be pouring into the new Tiger?!

With my luck (I've got the luck of a Kennedy as the song goes) the new tank will come with the RX-01 board... :crazy: If it does at least i know what to expect. If the Tiger 1 does have that board i may try adding a cooling fan of some kind, to see if there is any improvement in lifespan.

I bought these stencils for doing the turret numbers...i sure have a lot to do before tank #2 arrives!

Preparing for the final installation of the RX18 upgrade and I mounted the RX18 on the rear hull using velcro glued on hull and RX18 box. I considered using magnets but was worried they might affect the box somehow? I really dont know if magnets would affect it or not but not willing to take any chances with the fragile circuit boards...The velcro does seem a little flimsy and i am wondering if it will hold once i install the fan on the RX18 box. But for my featureless KT It is the best location for the RX18, for space and for cooling-it is far from the motors spitting lube and making heat. And there is plenty of space in front of the rear hull (anything more forward and the turret motor sticks down inside the hull too much to fit it i think.)
Marc780
Corporal

Marc780 HL King Tiger Build Part7-All Wired up No Way to Go

Post by Marc780 »

I'm waiting on crystals and a transmitter to get this tank moving again. The crystals are coming from Canada and the transmitter from UK...oddly i ordered a receiver from the same fellow in the UK and it arrived in only 4 days!

Using the downtime i finished wiring her up.

Still to do, I got some nylon spacers to fit on the drive shafts under the sprockets. The spacers are said to reduce the gear wobble, support the drive shaft and reduce chance of throwing a track. Also waiting on a 25 mm fan...that'll go over the RX18 box.

The amount of parts, wires, fittings, and special tools (i just ordered a mini gear puller from aliexpress yesterday for $13 shipped) is getting ridiculous. I don't think i spent this much when I was involved in the R/C plane hobby. On the other hand there's not much chance of losing it all in a crash.

Here's the colors, something seems a bit off with the way the colors not sure what it is. I gave it a coat of clear satin spray paint from Lowe's hardware and I like the result. it did not make the paint gloss as i was afraid it would. It make the finish more rough actually and more realistic looking. I also tried experimenting on small areas a light filter with some burnt umber wash from Arroyo company to highlight the seams and edges, I think i'll try some light dry brushing next to blend the colors.

Perhaps it will look more correct when I paint the turret numbers. I think I will use red with white outline, this seems the most common color combination...I sent away for stencils just for this purpose, I am looking forward to that chore-will have to use pencil on the outlines before painting for keeps! Not sure whether i will spray or just use a brush...probably be more precise to just use a brush but sprayed on does look much smoother and better.

People put the KT numbers and the cross in various places, I'm guessing there probably is no one "right" location for the turret numbers/crosses on a late war German tank. I'm doing it like in this famous photo

This photo is of course a still shot from the famous propaganda newsreel film clip, probably meant to impress the German populace that somehow the German panzer forces had thousands of King Tigers just waiting to be unleashed and smash the enemy.
The SS officer doing the drive by actually survived the war-I don't know if he is still alive but I have seen post war interviews with this fellow in one or two documentaries.
Last edited by Marc780 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
scalawag

Re: Marc780 HL King Tiger Build Part7-All Wired up No Way to

Post by scalawag »

looking good so far Marc.

Wiring looks very neat and tidy. :thumbup:

When you come to do the numbers this site might be useful, it helped me to understand the basics of German 3 number system. Choice of positioning for markings and numbers was largely a unit choice, so you can find a degree of difference in any panzer model.

http://bunker3030.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0 ... digit.html
Marc780
Corporal

Re: Marc780 HL King Tiger Build Part7-All Wired up No Way to

Post by Marc780 »

Thanks much for the very useful link. I may just use black with white outline as i already have the paint around!

Return to “King Tiger”