Acoustic Smoker latest design

Smoke creating devices!
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Re: Acoustic Smoker latest design

Post by strmnd54 »

jonger wrote:Strmnd54
Your work on improving smokers is groundbreaking every time you post, I have tried to copy your ideas but never seem to get quite as much smoke as you do when I suddenly realised looking at that last picture (boosted HL smoker) that you turn the lid of the smoker round so its blowing across the heating element before reaching the outlets, where as the Heng Long standard smoker has the wick directly below the outlets and the leads the far side away from the piston.
Why didn't I notice that before - I'm off to turn my lids round :D
If you look at the pictures above; I give the position of the resistor which is giving me the maximum smoke output...
I should have posted something like that a long time ago,( may be I did, but I don't remember where) :haha: :haha:
Heated debates on climate changes contribute to global warming!!!
jonger
Lance Corporal

Post by jonger »

strmnd54 wrote: If you look at the pictures above; I give the position of the resistor which is giving me the maximum smoke output...
I should have posted something like that a long time ago,( may be I did, but I don't remember where) :haha: :haha:
Yes it was that bit of your instructions that made me look again at the boosted HL smoker picture and that's when it hit me that you had turned the lid round - it was in front of me all along and I never noticed until then. :{
I'm happily sitting here watching my test rig smoker pumping out twice as much smoke as before just by changing round the position of the heating element - thanks again for your posts :thumbup:
Jonger
hajime42
Recruit

Post by hajime42 »

strmnd54 wrote:In my tank, I connect the heater element to the power switch, so It" on all the time...
Some variations can be made to the connections; like , for example; putting an extra switch on the heater to shut off the smoke while keeping the sound of the speaker...
In my Pershing, I'm running a TK-22/Benedini combo with an external audio amp; so I have the Clark sound effects in the front speaker(a Taigen) and the engine sounds from the Benedini patched in the front speaker and the acoustic smoker... :D
Hi there,
Could you please explain the connections of the TK-22,benedini,amp and the speakers?
I'm trying to do the same setup for my Tiger. Also bought two 1 inch speakers and planning to use them both. Also have TK-22 and
TBS-mini. What I need now is the audio amp. As for the audio amp, I'm planning to use a stereo digital mini amp.

This setup is really great. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hajime
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

I was also planning to use a 2X15 Watts stereo amp for my TK-22/Benedini combo; but I didn't have to do so...
It turned out that the TK-22 audio amp is powerfull enough to handle the sound of the Benedini ( mixed to the Clark sound effect using a 22 KOhms resistor) for the Taigen front speaker....

As for the acoustic smoker, since It doesn't need a lot of power; I used the audio amp of a broken RX-18 board ( that I cut off the board )...
I also ordered some inexpensive audio amp from e-bay that that should do the job as well...http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160985230083?ssP ... 1497.l2649

Here's a short video of my Pershing indoors and a wiring diagram that should help you...
Notice that at 10 feet away from the tank; the sound is loud enough to cause distortion in my camera's microphone...

Attachments
TK-22,TBS-mini,Receiver wiring.JPG
TK-22,TBS-mini,Receiver wiring.JPG (76.47 KiB) Viewed 9990 times
hajime42
Recruit

Post by hajime42 »

Hi,
Thank you very much for the diagram. It really helps me a lot. Just one thing, can I just connect the other speaker (let's say a visaton
speaker) to the TK22's speaker output? And the acoustic smoker as for the diagram?

Sorry for these questions, really a newbie about rc tanks. Just want to have a tank superior than tamiya.

Cheers,
hajime
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

That's exactly what I'm doing ( except that I'm using a taigen speaker instead of the Visaton)..
I found out that the audio amp. of the TK-22 is powerful enough to mix the clark sound effects and the Benedini engine sounds...
Ghost Tanker
Recruit

Post by Ghost Tanker »

Could this be done with the standard heng long speaker? Also could you keep the original speaker and add a second speaker just for the smoker, or would this be too much load for the RX18?

I'm a total novice when it come to electronics sorry!

Great thread by the way, and genius idea! :)
eins, zwei, drei, FEUER!!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Bloddy Brilliant strmnd54,

I can't wait to try this on a couple of my tanks. Thanks for all your hard work experimenting!
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

Ghost Tanker wrote:Could this be done with the standard heng long speaker? Also could you keep the original speaker and add a second speaker just for the smoker, or would this be too much load for the RX18?

I'm a total novice when it come to electronics sorry!

Great thread by the way, and genius idea! :)
I don't think that the original Heng Long speaker has the sound quality required to drive the smoke unit...
Your best bet would be to upgrade to a taigen speaker as sold by Welshdragonhttp://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 1776-p.asp

I doubt that the audio amp. on the RX-18 has necessary the power to drive an extra speaker...

I'm working on an improved version of my acoustic smoker that will include an audio Amp.; so it will be plug&play 8) 8)
hajime42
Recruit

Post by hajime42 »

Hi there,
Trying to find the resistor you used here in Japan but no luck. It seems that the electronics shop here does not have it.
It looks like the resistors here have different materials used. Yes there is a wirewound resistor here but after that another
category. So they asked me what kind of wirewound resistor. They told me there is oxide film coated resistor and another and so on.

I don't know what to choose. Can you please tell me more about the resistor you used? Also do you have to change the resistor after
one run or two? Or how long can the resistor last before it burn.

Really appreciate the knowledge.
Cheers
hajime

Return to “Smokers”