Any tips for cutting styrene sheet?

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Any tips for cutting styrene sheet?

Post by tiger205 »

thanks oz, will let you know if i need youre help, i'll look on the 'net 1st

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Great Art are charging £5.50 postage on a £2.50 cutter? Where else can I get one??
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
oz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by oz »

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Oz, would the P800 do the same job? Co-incidently I have already emailed D&A to see if he stocks the P450.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

rob you have a maplins near you?

thats where i bought mine from about £4

had tried to find it online from them but i cant find it :o :o
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

i might pop down maplins tomorrow, to see if they got one down there

Tony 8)

oz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by oz »

wibblywobbly wrote: Oz, would the P800 do the same job? Co-incidently I have already emailed D&A to see if he stocks the P450.
the p-800 is the one you want mate .......
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

since oz said about them, i looked on ebay, and there is quite a few p800's on there http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=005 and they seem quite cheap. thanks for the tip oz :D

Tony 8)

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Job done - P800 ordered. Cheers Oz!!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

I use the cheapskate version of the disc cutter. You just need a compass, preferably one with the adjustable wheel and screw support that holds the 2 arms in place, and remove the pencil/lead end and fit it with 2 metal points. You can then stick the one point in the centre of the disc as normal and use the other one to score into the plastic. For thick plastic card you can push the centre hole right through so you can then pick it up the other side and score that side as well.

Other than that i use a standard modelling scalpel and 2 metal rules, 1 small basic flat ruler about 6 inches long for the detailed work, and a larger 12 inch one that has a rubber section on the back to stop it slipping. Oh and a cutting mat.

The best advice i can give is cut gently and always use a ruler, appling a little pressure towards the ruler as its very easy for the cut to run away from the line you want. Its much better to do multiple light cuts than a few heavy ones, you're bound to run off line when you apply too much pressure. For complicated shapes i usually cut out in waste cardboard first (cereal packets are perfect) and then use the cardboard as a template while cutting the plastic.

Straight cuts are much easier than curves, if you can continue the cut to the edge of the plastic its better but can take some planning so you dont waste excessive amounts. If you have to cut a corner into the plastic, lightly score the line first and then cut away from the corner point. 

Once you've cut most of the way through you should be able to flex the plastic and "pop" out the part you want.

Plastic card melts at a lower temperature than kit plastic. Bent plastic card wont always ahols the shape. If you want to fix a bend into the plastic, flex it to the desired angle and then hold it either over a steaming kettle or under a hair dryer. Time will depend on the plastic thickness but the .5mm plastic i used on the M113 ACAV gun shield only took 10-20 seconds in the steam. Hold it for too long and the edges will start curling.

Sorry if this sound like I think Im some amazing expert, it wasnt meant like that. Just what i've picked up over the years. Hope it helps ;D

P. S. The all time most important bit to remember... always know where the nearest bandage, plasters, band aids and antiseptic cream are kept & make sure they're in a box you can open with one hand while the other one is held higher than your heart  :-\ ::) ;D
Last edited by Crispy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”