HMS Victory

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

HMS Victory

Post by doc larsson »

Hi all

bought a model of the above 1:146 scale (revell), started building/painting it and then lost the will to win. I done most of the decks but never got round to assembling it all ie decks into hull. Then i realised, "you've got the rigging to do after this !" The rigging is what scares me the most. Wanted to give it to someone as a present and put a bit of work in at the stern,windows and gold leaf ornamentation looks good but I'm dreading trying to complete. Question is, does anyone fancy building it for me ? I may consider giving you a kidney for taking this offer up.

Suggestions please.

ps i'm into tanks but can admire a good boat when i see it,hence hms victory.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: HMS Victory

Post by Saxondog »

Doc,Just read this post, and have to say I have built several Frigates,waiting on retirement to try VICTORY.

Last 1/96 scale Constitution required 2 years work and many hours of pre-assembly spent on rigging. This before ever stepping the mast. Then the fun really begins.

Victory is a very complicated vessel,yet the question would be what level of detailing? Just the stern of Victory would take some time with all her gilded carvings. Sorry pal I would certainly have to pass on her.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

drat saxondog !that's putting me off. the chap i'm building it for.

i've painted the stern already ! it's not too bad a job,did take two or three days (now you got me wondering if i've done it any good done!).

its the ropework thats puttin me off.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The rigging can be very complicated,yet there are techniques which simplify the task. Do not follow the instructions on rigging exactly.Meaning I build the mast separately as individual assemblies before mounting. This allows easier access to the Yard control rigging,sails and stays rigging like pulley mounting and control lines.

Attach rat lines last then mount the mast front to back on Victory a square rigged ship because much of the complicated rigging,the control system which will mount to rails and the complex Bowsprit rigging run from front to back.Each mast being 99% complete as you mount the next one,allowing the rear area to remain free of obstruction.

As you mount the mast,the lines which control raising and lowering the Yard Arms runs down to the base of the mast,leave extra line making securing to the Stanchion Rails much easier. This technique served me well many times.

This vessels are very complex machines,you have chosen the most complex to model,yet have the advantage of two good hands so do not allow my long build times to bother you,also my last ship was a gift and has been a very long build for personal reasons.

If I may be of service please ask,mot people tend to get lost because the instructions honestly are not written very well,I learned these technique over time and by learning how the original builders would build the ships. Another issue being the lower decks gun rigging,are you really going to be able to see inside the gun ports? And each Cannon could be rigged prior to mounting,this saves time as well, Really only the main deck being exposed should have that attention to detail.

So before mounting the mast,complete every detail of the main deck possible,before hand. Hope this helps? All the best,Blake
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

certainly does saxond ! i never thought of building them before placing on the ship. don't feel to daunted now

cheers mate great advice
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I built the Airfix version back in my 20's when I was married. Lovely model, looked great on the sideboard. Then we got a kitten.... :/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
CODY614
Recruit

Post by CODY614 »

I'm not sure if this will make it worse or not?....Not sure if you have seen this site either?
http://pete-coleman.com/forum/
:D
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

cheers for that mate but i really want someone to do it for me lol !
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

CODY614 wrote:I'm not sure if this will make it worse or not?....Not sure if you have seen this site either?
http://pete-coleman.com/forum/
:D
Mark Chapman's victory on there is an awesome build and do you want to know the weird thing? He is my manager and I didn't know he was into models until I told him about my midlife crisis new hobby tanking. Small world.
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC

Return to “Warships”