RX-18 Cooling Fan

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Oddball
Private

Re: RX-18 Cooling Fan

Post by Oddball »

Hi Alan I have just bought 1 of those small cooling fans to make a smoke unit for my KT and works a treat quite a bit of air flow for such a small fan I will have to get another 1 now for my tiger 1 and pershing will it ever end lol  ;D
tankman

Post by tankman »

Sorry to say Andy it NEVER ends LOL
Alan
BIGMIG
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by BIGMIG »

After reading some of the above (this may not work though)sometimes its easyer to pull air through something,than it is to try and push air through it.Just a thought--------BIGMIG
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

ALL PC cooling fans blow onto their component - I agree that pulling air out is a good thing as well, but in this case a direct fan is the best way forward.
Swathdiver on RCU (*pauses to wash mouth out*) posted a set up that was ideal - he split the engine compartment of his tiger in 2 and ducted the air around the chassis: cool air came in from one side, got blasted over the power electronics, and was then sucked out by an exhaust fan on the other side of the chassis.
Simple and elegant
Mart
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mackem »

Hi all,

So it looks like it's a unanimous 'YES' to a cooling fan for the RX-18.
Think I'll remove the smoker unit and put the board at the back of the tank.
The grills at both sides and above should provide excellent airflow.

So thats another job then.............

Cheers
John
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

This mod is a really good idea.
I've just ordered a couple of small 5v fans from paulintegrale on e-bay UK. £2 each and postage free.

Cheers
Chris
;D
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

JUst had an idea hows this have the fan sucking air out of the RX18 but then blowing strait into a smoke unit 1 fan 2 jobs .Then its a case of wether the smoker is on I have  a relay that I am going to wire to battle unit when the tank is killed smoke comes out of engine bay along with the lights in the panzer 3 the lights will be in the engine intake and the smoke will come from here.On the late Tiger lights are around the cupula and smoke comes up through engine grills .Will save the battery only having one fan on also save on space,which in the stug and panzer 3 is limited.

regards pete
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mackem »

So, you keep the smoker, which will work better because of the fan instead of the piston arrangement, and you also get the board cooled.
That's one hell of an idea Pete, when are you going to give it a go?

John
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

If you're going to cut that many holes in the RX-18 case/box, why not just remove it outright?  No box = better air flow around the board.
tankman

Post by tankman »

Hi Philiphat you are correct in what you say about the holes in the RX 18 box. However it will offer some protection to the circit board from accidental damage IMHO as I have fried an RX 13 board by accidentaly connecting with the reciver board whilw testing functions  >:(. All the best for now
Alan 

Return to “General Discussion”