1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walther Hahn Project Dia

Post by Red Devils »

Hey buddy,

It is a rear reflector brother...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 1-11-2019

Ok , its been a week in the workshop, after everything was taken apart and boxed/labeled , it was time to start modifications .

First on the list was a few changed to make this Tiger have a better "go anywhere" capability . The Hull is a plastic standard lower half, the road wheels are still plastic as are the suspension arms, the springs are the stronger type, but other than that its standard.

The first Jobs on the list are mainly for durability and relaiability ::
1. Move all the switches from the bottom of the hull to locations under opening front driver/gunner
2. Reinforce the area around the already installed front drive support bearings.

So as you can see from the picture below, this Tiger has already been fitted with Tank Modellbau Track adjusters, IMHO if you are planning on sticking with a standard Hull these are the only bullet proof solution to track adjustment. The adjusters are very solid and together with the huge ally backing block and tie rod means the back end very solid. I am not sure if with the advent of Asiatam all metal hulls that these are still available in this type.
N:B As of Nov 2019 these are still available from tank-modellbau.de
Modellbau track adj - internal mount and brace
Modellbau track adj - internal mount and brace
External view Madellbau idler axle
External view Madellbau idler axle
First on the list of the job sheet was out with Mr Dremmel and off with those switch sockets and lugs
Original Hull mounting points and switch sockets
Original Hull mounting points and switch sockets
No going back now
No going back now
As you can see from the next picture, the Hull is already fitted with Modellbua drive shaft support bearings
Modellbau axle support bearings
Modellbau axle support bearings
While these are a great addition,it had concerned me that these whilst being sturdy are fitted to the thinnest part of the hull(1.25mm thick).While making a new floor pan out of 2mm Aluminium which was bonded with 2-part epoxy glue to cover the holes left by the removed switches, i fabricated these support plates to reinforce the area and provide stiffness to the gearbox shafts
Reinforment plates and floor pan from 2mm aluminium
Reinforment plates and floor pan from 2mm aluminium
Whilst not a reinforcing item , the HL Hull is missing the gearbox inner Hull bolt on Flanges, so it was time to add these .
armoured transmission covers added to Hull detail
armoured transmission covers added to Hull detail

Next will be the new switch mountings, aerial mounting inside the Hull projecting through the correct position ariel base plate ,Gearbox firewall and sound proof covers ...................

Until then ..... Tankon
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

hi wildboar
i think your tiger looks pretty fine to me already.
good work fella :thumbup:
as for moving all the switches i would suggest you have a look here
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... f=1&t=6872
piss easy to fit, even i managed it! & does what it's supposed to.
cheers
lister
btw i moved all my switches at the same time as the charging socket,
then things got out of hand, as one thing leads to another.
so cut out the battery box to fit a much bigger speaker.
lol it's never ending!
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Thanks for the link Lister .... :thumbup:

I have considered using a power jack to charge the battery, one thing that has prevented me doing this is we often take 6 battery packs out with us to run the two tanks (the other is a std Jagdpanther ). Its not uncommon to use all 3 for each tank ( they are uprated packs),we once even drove them around a 9 mile mountain bike track !.

I have been toying with the idea of removing the battery box and fitting two battery packs inside with some sort of toggle switch between them. The switch to "toggle" between the two battery packs would possibly be located behind the "C" hook in the rear hull ?. as you say....it goes on and on... !

Cheers
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

:: The Aerial Relocation
As you follow this build please note that most HL RC Tanks built today do not need the "external floppy wire" aerial featured on this thread. Modern HL electronics will allow for an internal receiver that replicates an ariel at short range (2020)

There are 3 options in this build that relate to the aerial location.
Option 1. Below deal in siting the scale aerial in the correct location and connection to RX18 board circa 2012 HL model
Option 2. Later in build thread deals with making an internal aerial mount and dummy scale external again with RX18 board.
Option 3. Complete removsl of circa 2012 HL RX18 electronics and replacement with Clark system

The first job to tackle was to relocate the aerial . As we know its in the wrong position on the back of the Hull, it should be located just forward of the right hand engine grill (viewed from the rear)
Incorrect aerial location
Incorrect aerial location
Another reason for relocating the aerial was because in order to separate the Upper Hull & Turret from the chassis on this early HL version, you simply unclip the connectors from the RX18 unit (but) you have to use a screwdriver to remove the wire connector from the aerial base. This will over time weaken and had to be resolderd more than once. This version allows to to fix the receiver aerial to the chassis and simply slide the hull up without touching the aerial.

I have very little knowledge of electronics , but somehow I knew that mounting the brass aerial base direct to an aluminium bracket could affect the signal, so i needed an "isolator" between the two, the simple solution for me was a cut down Lego block. I just used a Dremel to remove the knobs and drill a correct hole to allow the brass aerial base to be glued in.
Lego Block as an isolator
Lego Block as an isolator
Then to ensure that the central post of the Lego block passed beyond the Ally mounting plate hole , I dremelled off 3mm from the bottom of the block. This was done to make sure no short curcuit would happen from the aerial brass base and the aluminium plate.
Section of block removed
Section of block removed
Then I made a bracket from 2mm Ally plate to site the aerial block directly under the new hole drilled into the Hull deck, the Lego block is secured by two part epoxy resin to the mounting plate .
Bracket to hold aerial in correct location
Bracket to hold aerial in correct location
This is how the receiver aeriall exits the hull in the correct position. The base of the aerial you see is a Schumo item which is pre drilled which is a bonus, it is simply bonded in with 2 part epoxy glue.
External view of new location of aerial
External view of new location of aerial

Until next time ........
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

After I made the Modellbau gearbox axle bearing support plates , I was impressed how stiff the front of the Hull is, So it anyone out there wants to do the same, here are the dimensions . Plates made from 2mm Ally plate , the holes centres are taken once the plate is cut to size and offered up inside the Hull, dont forget to use masking tape was your drawing surface on the Ally plate.
Reinforcement plate details
Reinforcement plate details
Until I get the next job done...............Tankon
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Lookin good brother...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
jonger
Lance Corporal

Post by jonger »

Wildboar44 wrote:
The top of the ariel is cut down to project 40mm above the Turret .
How much did you cut off - as I have been told the ariel length is critical as its "tuned" to the wavelength of the transmitter, if you alter the length too much it changes the receiving wavelength and you can loose distance that it works successfully from the transmitter.
A number of people install coiled internal ariels (of the right length) then just have a fake one in the correct place externally cut to the scale height.
There are a number of builds on the forum showing this in action.
Jonger
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Red Devils wrote:Lookin good brother...

Derek

Thanks Ace ...... praise from the master builder himself ......... :thumbup:
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

jonger wrote:
Wildboar44 wrote: The top of the ariel is cut down to project 40mm above the Turret .
How much did you cut off - as I have been told the ariel length is critical as its "tuned" to the wavelength of the transmitter, if you alter the length too much it changes the receiving wavelength and you can loose distance that it works successfully from the transmitter. A number of people install coiled internal ariels (of the right length) then just have a fake one in the correct place externally cut to the scale height. There are a number of builds on the forum showing this in action.
Hey jonger.............

We dont operate far from the tanks when we use them , 10-15ft ( 3.0 - 4.5m ) , its not caused a problem in the past . If we want to incease the range I will add a standard ariel height, its a push on fitting from the brass base plug to the ariel coil wire. 8)
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”