Tiger 1

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
seventiesmuff
Recruit

Tiger 1

Post by seventiesmuff »

Hello :D

Hi just registered, i'm new to rc tanks so could do with some help! I'm looking to buy a Heng Long Tiger 1 with metal tracks and gearbox availible from my local model shop (Howes in Kidlington) for £100. What to i need to make this more authentic apart from paint? Do i need to alter the gun mantlet? Lenthen the gun? and do i need to buy a metal gun to lenthen it or caqn i lenthen the plastic one? Read something about the commanders hatch to......
However i've been scouring the internet trying to find what i want and have now seen a Toro Tiger 1 from Welsh Dragon Models for £100 also! Does this also have metal components? It looks more detailed then Heng Long but thats not the be all as i know many upgrades are availible for Heng Long, its all very confusing and i want the best for my small budget any advice most appreciated!
Many thanks
Seventiesmuff
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tiger 1

Post by Dietrich »

Hi seventiesmuff ,
Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Please can you supply a link to the Howes Model shop ?? and the Tiger that you are looking at ......I think that I bought a panzer III from them and I was very happy with the price which included the metal gearboxes and Tracks.I will go and have a look at the Torro Tiger from 'Welsh Dragon' ...Steve is a member here on the Forum and his prices are good and his service is second to none...so his is almost certainly a good deal as well......So it might come down to a choice between the manufacturers of 'Heng Long or 'Torro'..........
Having just looked,the Torro does not seem to come with any metal upgrades.....and the tracks and gearboxes are the single best part of the tank.....They make the tank run and perform much better. I would suspect that the metal gearboxes fitted at Howes are NOT the 3:1 reduction kind and this is vital to have 'proper contro'l over the tank. The conversion is relatively easy but a bit daunting perhaps for a 'first job' depending on your level of modelling. Without the reduction the Tiger will tend to sit there...with its motors buzzing until you finally push the remote control stick forwards enough to overcome the resistance of the tracks etc and then rather suddenly the Tiger will accelerate forwards.......So it might be worth contacting Howes and asking if they would be willing to 'swap' the gearboxes for reduction ones for an increase in price.
Trust me on this..... the metal tracks and gearboxes WITHOUT the reduction gearboxes are a pain.. :( ...and it seriously reduces the models 'driveability' and fun off the carpet in the garden.... :D
Any questions please just ask, and in case it helps, there is a search box located in the Top Right hand corner of the main Forum banner which is also very useful.
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Welcome seventiesmuff,

You'll find all your answers here, lots of knowldge, especially with the man above (Dietrich). Welcome aboard.

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi seventiesmuff,
I just looked up 'Howes' at Kidlington and it is the same company that I bought my Panzer III from........So I ' Rang them up' to ask about the Tiger 1 as I cannot see it on their website.....
Unfortunately they do NOT offer the exchange 3:1 reduction gearboxes and rather surprisingly they do NOT stock them either !!!...So you WOULD need to change or modify that. I asked the sales assistant about the Gun Mantle, gun length,the Commanders cupola and the pistol port and unfortunately he did not have any idea about those parts .... :'( ........I thought that Heng Long is now so big that they were no longer afraid of being sued by Tamiya for copying and that all the deliberate errors had now been corrected.......BUT.....I now 'found' the Tiger that 'Howes' is selling ....see below.....
TIG-MOD-2.jpg
Is NOT correct !!.......The gun is too short, the mantle is upside down and the commanders cupola is fitted at the wrong angle ( so probably is the pistol port )....SO ...possibly these are 'Older' versions of the Tiger that Howes have upgraded to sell on faster.......The jobs are NOT hard...but its more things to do if you want to put the Tiger right.......BUT....that is also the fun with the tanks....Modifying them and making them 'Yours'... :haha: ......It might be worth contacting Steve at Welsh Dragon and asking about 'Upgrading' the Torro..the upgrade parts are available in his shop but the 3:1 boxes are £ 45 and the tracks are £70 at the cheapest..............Sorry, not to be of more help....but If you need anymore info please just ask..... :thumbup:
Alb.
Never Forget......
seventiesmuff
Recruit

Post by seventiesmuff »

Hi Dietrich,

Many thanks for your help and information you have been a great help. :thumbup: Still not sure which to go for, either way it seems i'm changing the gearbox! 8O a Heng Long will need putting right and painting, although i'd quite like to do that, or the Torro which is already nicely painted and buy the upgrade parts you recommend. I think i'm going to enjoy my new hobby and pretty sure i'll end up with more than one!! All this after seeing one at a car boot for £40! not buying it and regretting it ever since!
Many many thanks i'm sure i'll be in touch in the future

Matt
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Matt,
Glad I could help you Matt.....Ring Steve or Email him at Welsh Dragon Models....I am sure that he can offer you some advice......This is the link to his Torro page......
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/pre- ... s-33-c.asp

The Heng Long gearboxes can be changed from a standard to a 3:1 reduction ...but it is a bit of a 'First job'....Here is a link to a post on 'How to do it'...but you will also need 2 'Nylon' first gears from a nylon gearbox ( or a metal one if you are really lucky )...It is a bit of an old post that could do with freshening up a bit.... :{ ....or at least the pictures attached directly.....
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =38&t=4981
Alb.
Never Forget......
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by sparks »

Hi Seventiesmuff,
Welcome to the forum :wave:
sparks
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: hello mate and welcome seems you have jumped right in to tanks good on ya but at the end of the day just enjoy dont worry too much about detail its a learning curve have fun
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
seventiesmuff
Recruit

Post by seventiesmuff »

Thanks for the welcome guys, bought a HL Tiger 1 today with metal tracks and gearbox! :D Very happy so far although the dog now appears to want to leave home. The gun appears to be the correct lenth although the mantlet does need turning round, the cupola was loose so i have turned that round already and i think the pistol port is correct off top of my head but will check later, all in all very happy and for £99.99 not bad at all. Got quite a lot of plans so will keep you all posted on ho :thumbup: w its coming along. Any advice would be most welcome as i'm a complete novice to the world of RC Tanks, my misses thinks i've gone mad but we don't really listen to her, taking her to tankfest soon! Anyway guys must go play :D :D :D
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

Welcome to the forum mate

Return to “Introduce Yourself”