H.M.S.Hood 1/350 scale

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

H.M.S.Hood 1/350 scale

Post by Saxondog »

This trumpeter 1/350 H.M.S.Hood is a fine kit with a good degree of detail,even some P.E.Parts included. I started this ship over a year ago,and as with many projects I stopped half way through.

The main deck and base superstructure was complete, recently I have been working on completing this model. Hood has always been of interest to me,and of course to many people,she was the most photographed ship in History at the time of this version 1941.

Know worldwide as the Largest,Fastest,most powerful ship in the Royal Navy. She was elegant,with fine lines and a very fast ship. Moving 42.000tons at 32knot is impressive even today,but even more was the technology and fire-power she processed.

Not complete at this point,the secondary AA Guns, the boat cranes,the rigging,forecastle details,and the service craft yet complete. But it is a work in progress,and a worthy ship to model.

http://www.hmshood.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TIRPITZ 008.JPG
Battle-cruiser  H.M.S.Hood   1941
Battle-cruiser H.M.S.Hood 1941
H.M.S.HOOD 014.JPG
H.M.S.HOOD 029.JPG
H.M.S.HOOD 031.JPG
H.M.S.HOOD 030.JPG
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Re: H.M.S.Hood 1/350 scale

Post by Saxondog »

Found this short but very clear video of HMS HOOD in color, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtVDXntjMHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

It brings it home a little. when out of a Complement of 1,325. Only 3 survived from this great ship.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Sadly that could of been prevented,The battle-cruisers lost at Jutland exposed the defect,Hood was famous,the most photographed ship in History up to her demise.

Her sinking was truly shocking,and the Hunt for the Bismarck very very clearly demonstrated the end of the Battleship,still The companion of Hood,Prince of Wales died a terrible death as well,and one that was the absolute proof a Battleship without air cover is just waiting to die.

Funny of the sinking of the Hood,the only German Capitol ship to survive the war was Bismarck's mate which also landed a hit on Hood,but that us well known,I just have a thing for Naval History. Shooting a 2200 pound projectile 22 miles is pretty bad-ass to me. Hood had that ability,for sure a fine ship.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

It was a pity that Hood's refit and armour plating did not include that one bit of the Hood where she was hit. A very lucky strike from a German point of view, but the loss of life was terrible.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

It is just inexcusable period. Before the Royal Naval put paid to the Treaty construction of the 1930"s the HOOD deserved the best the shipyards could offer.

Like wise Repulse and Prince of Wales loss was preventable,and repulse has very poor AA so to send them in range of Land Based air attack was just stupid.

The Hood was a tragic,tragic loss. A such a fine ship she was. When I look over at her on the mantel I think of Ted Briggs stepping through the hatch as his officer stood back allowing Ted to survive,the crew certainly can not be at fault.

Like wise though the Germans for all their modern power wasted the Bismarck,then they wasted the Tirpitz just as badly.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

During the 20's the Hood spent a great deal of time visiting all parts of the world and the empire, when in really it was in desp. need of a refit. The Royal Navy in pursuit of the Bismarck nearly got it wrong when they accidentally tried to torpedo HMS Sheffield. It was "lucky" that they managed to disable the rudder in one strike. It must have been horrible on the vessels with carnage all around and the threat of submarine strike.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The entire saga was one of terrible consequence. Both sides saw tragic loss of life,the Bismarck survivors that were left due to the threat of a U-boat attack was tragic as well.

The Bismarck did take an ex-stream amount of punishment,and to look so solid as a wreck is amazing.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I think the policy at the time and perhaps still is I don't know that to leave a ship however badly damaged on the surface was not the done thing and you had to carry on until it sank. I was watching probably the Royal Oak documentary or Glorious and one sailor having swam in engine oil for a bit said " blow this" and then disappeared under the waves.
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Saxondog wrote:The entire saga was one of terrible consequence. Both sides saw tragic loss of life,the Bismarck survivors that were left due to the threat of a U-boat attack was tragic as well.

The Bismarck did take an ex-stream amount of punishment,and to look so solid as a wreck is amazing.
:haha: ...yea, thats the reason they were left in the middle of the atlantic.....it was payback, pure and simple. As for the condition of the bismark, the english were stupid, they got to close. You do not do not take out a battleship with direct fire. That just tears up the superstructor and stuff above the waterline. The trick is plunging fire like the bismark used on the hood....drop shells over the armor belts through the decks. This is also why dive bombers were able to kill battleships so well.

Return to “Warships”