Panzer IV changes Ive done or going to do

Fixes and mods for the HL Panzer IV
littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Panzer IV changes Ive done or going to do

Post by littletankman »

Ive just obtained a Pz.IV and along with the previous posts there is some errors that I have come across . I'm making my Pz.IV a Ausf.H late version . So theres changes I need to make for that .

Initial faults I found:
The mantlets to big.
Rear idler sits to high,
The rear storage bin lids incorrect,
The rear engine grilles are incorrect,
The rear air vent fixings are missing and the smooth areas on the rear track guards are I think HLs attempt at the air vent shutters in the open possition (not very good).

Things I'm changing to suit my Ausf.H late model:
Changing to the longer barrel,
Adding metal opening engine hatches,
Adding metal opening crew hatches,
Adding spare wheel rack and two wheels,
Altered cupola lid to one piece,
Adding Schumo AA mount and MG34,
Adding side schurzen
Adding turret schurzen,
The HL early version I think should have a track guard mounted filter system , it was on the H model but removed on the late one , so not a prob there ,
I want to make the front look more like it has interlocking armour like the J , it was on some of the late Hs.
Alter turret roof,
Change idlers and drive sprocket to later version. If I can might try the Tamiya ones ????
That's it for now but theres lots more to do.
littletankman
HL: Tiger I sSS101 2nd Kompanie (212), HL: PzIII/Stug , Tam: sherman(fo) ,Tam: Sherman (vintage) ,Tam: Kingtiger(fo) ,Tam: Kingtiger (vintage,upgraded) , 21st Cent Sdkfz 251 (static at the mo ) / Son HL panther(altered) ,Son HL Tiger1 sSS101 1st Kompanie , HL Pz.IV , daughter HL Tiger1 sSS101 hopefu
NickDonitz
Corporal

Re: Panzer IV changes Ive done or going to do

Post by NickDonitz »

This is the sort of list i dream about is there anything else you need to add now
I'm manning the gun's ! Who's driving ?
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi mate this is an old list here is what I change now:

ALLTERATIONS TO CORRECT HL PZ.IV:
Raise the front drive sprocket 3mm ( involves cutting the gear cassings down i think),
Alter the front mud flap angle (to match with the raising of the drive sprocket),
Lower the rear return roller,
If its a late model some only had 3 return rollers (remove the inside two and re mount one central to the original possitions),
Add missing hinge detail to front and rear mud flaps,
Improve the side air intake shutters,
Add rear deck slope,
Add missing rear end detail bolts etc,
Improve tow hitch,
Correct 'L' on track idler mounts,
Alter rear turet bin (lid sits to high),
Other turret detail to change depending on model your making (ie anti-gas detector mounts, self defence weapon, diferent style cupola lids etc),
I moved the cupola (but thats just personal preferance),
Add missing detail to front tow hitches,
Turn handles around the other way on front tow hitches,
Add aditional armour,
Correct angle of out pipe on exhaust and I drilled it out as the HL one looked to thick.
Move the rear centeraly mounted ariel and fit it to the rear side corner.
Add front mounted spare track holder,
Improve top mounted spare track holder (should hold 7 tracks links),

Theres probally more but you always miss some thing of.
Last edited by littletankman on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Alterations or additions to the standard HL Pz.IV.

Add metal drive sprockets ( early .like plastic ones or late style),
Add metal idler wheels (early to mid or late style),
Add metal return rollers (late or ones on the tank are ok for early),
Add metal track tensioners (advisable with metal tracks/sprockets etc),
Add metal tracks (early ,like plastic ones on the tank, late cleated, or the wider tracks)
Make sure tank has metal gears,
Add metal AA mount and MG 34
Add schurzen around the turret,
Add schurzen to tank (solid pannels or later therma mesh screens),
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Absolutely fab list, ive always wanted a Pz IV with the armoured panels since I built a 1/35th scale one when i was a student Italieri I think it was. A really great kit even though I was a Tamiya builder then . Forgive the question but which producer of Pz IV would you start with or are the options limited ive only seen the HL one, has it changed over the years or it the same as the old ones. I only ask as if im going to strip it to the extent you have then i might as well get a 2nd hand cheap one rather than a new fresh from the box one, unless there are benifits to getting the newer ones if you get my drift. Oh and are you going to the South Manchester meet in Hyde on the 19th. Thanks again for the list
NickDonitz
Corporal

Post by NickDonitz »

Duuh just remembered it was a Monogram kit , was it really that long ago!!
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi Nick, I have to say (without starting the Tamiya / Heng Long debate) that the Tamiya one is far better but you pay for the quality . These you make your self and then need to add the RC gear . If I could afford four or five Tamiya ones for the projects Ive done I would. Heng Long are ok these come ready made with the controllers . The Heng Long are a good introduction to RC tanks I have several . Another thing with a less expensive tank it feels better chopping it up and modifying it . Again you can get the up grade parts like metal wheels , tracks , track tensioners and numerous other parts . There is several good reliable dealers (some are on here) . You can even alter and improve the electronics but that's beyond me mate . You can always ask me or post a question on here and you will get advice . I have started (hmmm) several Pz.IV projects , Im trying once I get back to them to finish my Ostwind. As for the armoured panels (schurzen) I have the templates for the ones on the turret and those that hang on the side of the tank . I can always send you a copy . Im planning a ausf H Pz.IV with solid schurzen and I have started a late ausf.J that will have the Therma mesh shurzen (eventually)

You can get a new on reasonably cheep mate

As for Manchester a little to far for me mate , sorry.

Andy

Return to “HL Panzer IV”