Air support. Look what I've bought now

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Air support. Look what I've bought now

Post by Saxondog »

Too many War-birds to choose from, excellent link and the Winter Stuka "D" would be my plane of choice.Also the FW190 is very nice.I was surprised to see the Swordfish Bi-Plane as I have never seen this as a working RC Aircraft.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

I was torn between the Stuka and ME109 but the cost of retractable undercarriage swung it in favour of the Stuka. Black Horse also produce an excellent Stuks in same size as YT and much cheaper.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

A lot of planes do end up as plans but of course you have to cut out and make your own parts. The Swordfish is available in a few different scales in that form although agree that it would make for a very stable and a nice flying model, in much the same was as the tiger moth is. The only thing is that the tiger moth has longevity and numerous livery choices which makes it attractive for model manufacturing companies.

Back to the Stuka I also think that Guillows used to make a tissue and balsa model for this aeroplane designed for rubber band power free flight model which was also suitable for control line and radio control. A bit more laborious to make with having to cut out the printed parts and then tissue cover it, but would also make for a nice model. I've built a Spitfire and Hurricane from this company some yrs ago as free flight models. The Hurricane was better than the Spitfire as I had got the centre of gravity wrong on the Spit and just couldn't get it to glide properly. Also every crunching landing on the Spit seemed to tear the tissue. The Hurricane was great, but was damaged in a house move.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

P.S. I had a quick look at the Guillows website and while they do a number of different aeroplanes in 1/16 scale including the BF109, Spitfire etc they don't do the Stuka. I also noticed that they laser cut the parts in this scale, which saves a bit of cutting out. The Stuka is in 1/32nd scale. I suppose the plan could be increased, or just cut out the parts and enlarge them at the copy shop to the size you need, or hang it from the ceiling. Seeing your aeroplane John I wouldn't mind having a go at a Stuka as I have not made one since a Matchbox aeroplane kit in the 70's.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Last Stuka I built I was 12. 1/24 Airfix. My dad never understood why I always went for the german stuff. He was always pushing me towards the Sutherland Flying boat. He was crew on one of those and loved them. I might do one in his memory. See if I can find some photos with his planes markings.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Their was a post last year on the 1/16 scale Guillows kits,there is an older Stuka by them but not sure of the scale. Many of their kits are nice and weil engineered. But they do require a certain patients and that seems to be my problem with many kits.

That being said the Great planed Fokker DRI would be my choice as a wood framed kit. Almost complete yet enough left to assemble to make it interesting,flying I will leave to you guys. I will just be content to watch.

John this other Stuka is from Black Horse? Do you know if it is foam construction?
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Checked out the site for Black Horse Models, the Stuka offered seems very well designed and built on a plywood/Balsa frame. Several parts to assemble,yet the instructions are very clear and the parts numbering seems accurate and the parts are described by name as well as number.
All I can say is I want one,or maybe two? But Christmas is a long way off.
http://www.blackhorsemodel.com.vn/produ ... uka5.5.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panzerfahrer
Private

Post by panzerfahrer »

Dietrich wrote:Nice Plane,
If you want to sell it cheap, send me a message, that way you can buy your wife some earings rather than 'Donating them'.... :haha: ...I must admit...that is one of MY fears about flying a model aeroplane...one mistake and all that money is wasted.....THAT is the major advantage of tanks..(and cars I suppose )...they do not fall out of the sky..or sink in the pond !!!!......Although I must admit that I do like the look of the small pulse-jet engines that you can buy. No moving parts and all welded out of stainless steel....The motor has to be mounted above the body of the plane because of the tremendous heat. They are powerful and fast and of course loud.....so since I live in France and they have such fond memories of 1940 to 1945 I thought that I would make a V1....... :haha:
Well that wouldn't bother the French, all the V1s and V2s only came our way.
You better check your local laws if you plan to use a pulse jet, in some countries they are illegal, this is due to the noise factor plus they have no means of speed control, you light it up and hang on to your hat, they are usually used in tethered boats or cars, anyway you would need Giros to control roll and pitch, a very unstable platform. :{ just realised you were joking. :{
"What is your name," "don't tell him Pike" " your name will also go on the list"
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Laws aside and gyros it would be one hell of a sight to see the rocket go off though. I was hoping to work outside today on my aeroplane, but clucking bells it's raining, so it's back into the cramped garage!! I so need an awning that I can erect the fuselage bit in the back garden. Sax was talking about the Guillows balsa models and I've bought a 1/32 scale Lancaster kit. It's an Easy Built models kit (allegedly) and while I was looking at the parts yesterday it looks as if they have borrowed the wheels and some other fitments from one of the Guillows kits. I am planning on making it as a half cut away model.

I like the Sunderland and do have a plan of one with a 72 inch wingspan, but like many plans that I have, if they ever see the light of day as a model is another thing. I've only got one German Tank and that's a 1/6 hetzer in two halves as a fibreglass pattern, but I haven't taken the mould yet.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Saxondog,

The Black Horse has some great reviews and is good value. A lot less work to do than the YT. Paint job looks a bit shiney but sure you can fix that.

Return to “RC Aircraft”