Help re Tiger idler wheel

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Help re Tiger idler wheel

Post by MarkofZollo »

Basically the right idler whell on my Tiger has started jumping the track teeth recently, like this;

The idler should be behind that row of teeth, and shudnt be the red gap here;

I think it happens when I do a right turn and the right track is stopped so gets a little slack back there, this leads to track getting stuck sometimes in reverse, plus maybe putting strain on something. Its easy to fix but Im not sure how to prevent it (short of getting an idler adjuster). Should I take a link out of the right track maybe?
Cheers for any help :D Dave
There is always a fifth Sherman
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Re: Help re Tiger idler wheel

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

Hi

If you get jumping like this on a bicycle its time to buy new a chain and cassette. If you take a link out of one side you'll just travel in a circle. One side will have to pull less track through the system. I know you can compensate with the trim. Sounds like old worn out tracks to me.
DerStiervonScapaFlow
Lance Corporal

Post by DerStiervonScapaFlow »

Could the post your idler wheel runs on be broken making the wheel run bad?
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Thanks for replies, I did reckon that due to the left track being one link shorter to prevent problem I explained here http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =42&t=5743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that perhaps the right side needs to be corrected to match? Sorry it is explained somewhere in that thread.
It cant be worn tracks, that wont happen in this kind of application with metal tracks, not in my lifetime anyway :D
I have looked at the mount and there is a crack, the idler is a touch wobbly when attached, unlike the other side. Anyone had a similar problem??
Wolftone
Lance Corporal

Post by Wolftone »

I recognise your fault with the jumping track. I am presuming that the tank is running metal tracks on standard return rollers with no adjustment. My reasoning is that i too have a tiger 1with metal tracks that does exactly the same. The only real fix as far as i can see is to install adjuster's or drive it on a shiney floor. It may be tiny and made of plastic, but in this regard if you want it to 'perform', Just like a real vechile one thing leads to another, & before you know it your in the shed...
The heavier the running gear, the heavier the gear needed to haul it around.
I personally am gonna get a metal hull and save myself a lot of bother.

There may be other answers and this answer should by no means be taken to be the definitive answer on the subject. the user of any answer is whole'ly responsible for whatever results, positive or hilarious, that derive from said answer being put into, or incorperated into, any form of practice.
regards !
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The ASIATAM Hull resolves so many issues with the Tiger, I understand that they are very reasonable just now @welshdragon. In almost two years with maybe 150 hours of run time no tracking issues other than weight. I have been as heavy as 24lbs. and as light as 16lbs. with 20 being perfect for my Tiger.

It did set to high,and Asiatam offered a lighter set or torsion springs,I chose to work it out with weights. But the hull does work very well and the Tiger moves like a tank,moving over and through stuff instead of bouncing over or off these objects. And in sand or dirt ,even snow what little we get the weight is great for traction and no worries about breaking plastic control arms.
knighthawk
Recruit

Post by knighthawk »

got the same problem with a new HL Tiger..I took the tracks of and checked them for alignment and found them to be bent inwards slightly...easy fix ..just bend them slightly to realign them...
Barry
Old Chinese proverbs say...Man go to bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly fingers...
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Just wanted to say I did get the Asiatam lower and the issue has pretty much gone away, im up to around 6.5kg and still looking too high though. The right rides higher than the left so I tried to compensate and most of the weight is that side but still about the same. I would still reccommend the Asiatam hull, especially for the price Welshdragon has it! Thanks for the help :thumbup:
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Post by dsvirus »

I think that will be my next purchase. I am currently having exactly the same issues. Given the price of the hull compared to an independant tensioner, it seems like a good deal.

Return to “General Questions”