King Tiger with Firing Cannon

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
DanL
Private

Re: King Tiger with Firing Cannon

Post by DanL »

Thanks everyone.

Stevie - gun details...
You can use either the Plastic or metal barrel. I used the plastic one for lighter weight. For the plastic one to work in the recoil unit, you have to add a piece of brass tube at the breech end to increase the diameter.
The barrel that holds the charge is a small brass tube only about 1.5" long inserted in the muzzle end of the model barrel.
The charge is a very small amount of BP wrapped in flash paper.
NO PROJECTILES!!!! The barrel will not take any explosive pressure if anything is put in front of the cahrge or if the barrel is too long.
Charge is ignited by hot nichrome wire. It is activated by a switch on a servo that is slaved in the Tx programming to the channel that activates the tamiya recoil action.
Attachments
tam-kt-firing-barrel-builds.jpg
ready-for-assembly.jpg
Ignitor-Components.jpg
Assembled-Ignitor.jpg
DSC_4178.jpg
Last edited by Saxondog on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct spelling errors
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dan, I really think the charge will be hot enough for the ammo we discussed. If you think about it the flash paper may well work as good as aluminum foil? Might have to increase the length of the brass insert. Seeing the charge as depicted in your draft clearly demonstrates to me the elements for the dust to ignite. Your professional graphics seem to bring things into perspective.

The key would be how to load the charge in stages without creating to much resistance, but I'm sure you know more about it than me, I seem to recall a Tiger Gun Test that incinerated the barrel? Excellent system, cheers Blake
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by tankmad »

Thanks for the info on the firing cannon Danl you makeit look easy I will definetly think on this although getting the black powder could be difficult in the UK I might have to open the Hilti pellets.
Stevie
DanL
Private

Post by DanL »

Stevie,
DON"T use the Hilti cartridges or the powder from them! That powder is made to burn fast and develop high pressure to drive the nail. You want slow burn (large granulation) black powder that will flash and smoke a lot (because it's still burning as it leaves the barrel).
If you cant get BP, can you buy BP substitutes? In the US, the subs are classified as propellants, not explosives, so are much more available. The subs are probably even better to use (they burn cleaner) One brand here is Triple 7, another is Pyrodex.
Again, do not use Hilti powder, smokeless powders, etc. I suggest you read A LOT about powders and small cannons (I did)before you go this route because this stuff can be very very dangerous.
Another approach that is simpler and works almost as good is to use a wad of flash paper. It is usually available in magician shops. It ignites fast and produces a good barrel flash, but not much smoke and very little noise.
Note that my ship guns and tank cannon are "double-switched". It takes two coordinated control settigs on teh transmitter to fire, and the circuit has a manual safety switch. I use only a 2.4Mhz radio because I don't want to risk the glitches or potential channel overide on a standard FM Tx.
Do not do the gun unless you treat it AT ALL TIMES like a real gun!
tankmad

Post by tankmad »

Thanks for the advice Danl you are probably right with the Hilti catriges anyway the way things are going in Scotland it will probably be ilegal they are trying to outlaw bb's here.
Stevie
chris3
Staff Sergeant

Post by chris3 »

moin

are these blast modul buyable? never saw this bevor, realy nice.
but sade that it is only a one shoot system :-(.

cu christian
http://www.Ludwigs-Hobby-Seite.de

-www.hitechcreations.com-
sparks

Post by sparks »

Great work Danl :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
DanL
Private

Post by DanL »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Much appreciated.

Her's a vid and more pics.

Vid upload really has the movie coming out poorly. I need to figure out what I did wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1cpTqv3QlE

Added the camo net as one of the final details. It's coming off - I don't like it....
camo-net.jpg
Attachments
snow9.jpg
snow8.jpg
snow7.jpg
snow6.jpg
snow5.jpg
snow4.jpg
snow3.jpg
snow2.jpg
camo-net-2.jpg
tankmad

Post by tankmad »

The firing cannon looks great Danl
Stevie
DerStiervonScapaFlow
Lance Corporal

Post by DerStiervonScapaFlow »

Wow that is awesome work DanL! Thanks for posting such detail too, Sir you are an "Engineer and Artist"! :thumbup:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”