Airfix 1/600 scale model of HMS Belfast

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Airfix 1/600 scale model of HMS Belfast

Post by dylan9391 »

I was commissioned to build a model of Belfast in the disruptive livery that she is currently wearing on the Thames in London. I am not sure if this livery was ever worn by Belfast during the war as the ship missed three years after being torpedoed in the early days of her sea going career.

She has been placed ina diaorama of a calm(ish) sea and I have added railings and a few extra items from the White Ensign stable of products to complete.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Airfix 1/600 scale model of HMS Belfast

Post by Saxondog »

Very nice job,difficult scale to model.Is the HMS Belfast still commissioned? Is it a Town class cruiser? Not up on British surface fleet.
Sax

Note: I did a quick search,HMS BELFAST, Southampton class 6"gun cruiser. A museum ship. Very Intersting,I Knew of HMS WARRIOR,and of course HMS Victory but not this ship. Are their other in the UK as well?
SAX
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Thanks, it's a bit on the small side, but ah well makes for a no too big display model.
HMS Belfast is moored on the Thames in London an a great ship to visit. You can go from top to bottom which is what I like to do when visiting ships. I've done the castings for the funnels, main guns and cranes for HMS Belfast in 1/192 scale, but not progressed much further than that, even with a library of photos of her. There are a few others dotted around most notably at Chatham Docks. I think there are two warships and a submarine (ocelot possibly?) We went some yrs ago and I will need to do a google search as I can't remember the name of the steel decked ship. It's more in the size of HMS Cossack (sunk), rather than say a large town class/southampton class cruiser like Belfast.
seafire
Private

Post by seafire »

I think you may possibly be thinking of the destroyer HMS Cavalier, preserved on Tyneside. She was the last war emergency destroyer in commision and was paid off in the early '70s.
There was also a Type 12 Frigate - HMS Plymouth, of similar size, plus HM Submarine Onyx, at Birkenhead on Merseyside until a few years ago. Both these vessels served in the Falklands war. The collection also included the minesweeper HMS Bronington, which was, I believe, HRH Prince Charles' first command. I think the group that preserved these ships folded due to lack of funding. Not sure what happened to the vessels.

Seafire
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Thanks for that as I couldn't think what it was called even though I bought a guide book, which of course I can't find. I found two for the Belfast of course bought at different times. It would be a pity if all of the vessels owned by the group all ended up being scrapped due to a lack of funding from other sources. It's a pity if the Falklands Type 12 suffered the same fate as Fearless and Invicible. I think Fearless should have been preserved as a museum ship being the last steam powered vessel in the RN, but too expensive to do it I guess.

Return to “Warships”